Summary: Bear Sufferings Patiently For Christ's Sake
The affection of the Philippians, which expressed itself by sending help to the apostle, reminded him of the spirit they had always shown; they had cordially associated themselves with the labors and trials of the gospel.
I. LIVE AS A CITIZEN OF HEAVEN (V.27)
a. Be Watchful to our Conduct
V. 27a Above all else, you must live in a way that brings honor to the good news about Christ (CEV)
- To Our Conversation
- Business Transactions
- Modes Of Dress
- Style Of Living
- The believer is bound to perform every duty on Christian principles.
b. Be United In One Spirit and Faith.
- V. 27b Then, whether I visit you or not, I will hear that all of you think alike. I will know that you are working together and that you are struggling side by side to get others to believe the good news.
II. LIVE AS A VICTORIOUS FAMILY/son OF GOD (v.28)
V. 28 Don't be afraid of your enemies; always be courageous
a. Be Brave as a son of God
- Do not be alarmed of anything
- Maintain your Christian integrity
b. Be Still and know that God is our Victory
- V.28b and this will prove to them that they will lose and that you will win, because it is God who gives you the victory
- Psalm 108:13 With God we will gain the victory, and he will trample down our enemies.
III. LIVE AS A SERVANT OF CHRIST (VV. 29-30)
a. We are partakers of Christ’s sufferings
- 1Pe 4:13 Rather be glad that you are sharing Christ's sufferings, so that you may be full of joy when his glory is revealed.
- Jas 1:2 My friends, consider yourselves fortunate when all kinds of trials come your way,
- Col 1:24 And now I am happy about my sufferings for you, for by means of my physical sufferings I am helping to complete what still remains of Christ's sufferings on behalf of his body, the church.
b. Bear Sufferings Patiently For Christ's Sake
- Suffering is one of the tools God uses to mold his children into vessels that bring glory to His Son (cf. James 1:3-4; 1 Pet. 1:6-7). Suffering even perfected the Lord Jesus (Heb. 2:10).
Apostle Paul considers the Church at Philippi as a free or imperial city, which possesses great honors, dignities, and privileges; and he exhorts them to act, worthy of or suitably to those honors and privileges, the same principle we have to consider in our time as believers of Christ, we need also to Live as citizen of heaven, that’s why Paul wants us to be watchful to our conduct, we need also to live as victorious son of God, therefore , be brave for the Lord is our victory, and lastly live as a servant of Christ, that of you are willing to suffer for Christ sake.