Summary: This is a study of the book of Genesis. Genesis and Revelation are two of the most disputed books in the Bible. The premise of this study is the foundation of creation.
Note: When doing a study on a book in the Bible you use a lot of resources. The major influence for me on this study of Genesis is The Genesis Record by Henry Morris.
What happened in Genesis 39?
So Joseph winds up in jail for a crime that he did not commit. This seems to be cruel and unjust punishment. Suffering for no reason. Being in a place where he did not deserve.
Without knowing the whole story could you see God's hand in this? What would you think if all we had was the first 40 chapters of Genesis? Now let us see the purpose and the motive of God coming out. Understand God did condone or allow for the sin committed against Joseph he just used the situation to change a nation.
Comparison between Joseph and Jesus
1) sent to his brethren sent to his brethren as the lost sheep
2) hated without just cause by brethren same John 15:25 They hated me
without a cause.
3) sold by his own brethren Sold by his own brethren (Jews)
4) sold for 20 pieces of silver sold for 30 pieces of silver
5) brethren plotted to kill him same John 1:11 He came unto his
own, and his own received him
6) put into a pit of death crucified
7) raised up out of pit to life raised on third day
8) obeyed father same all his will
9) sent to seek brethren by father sent to Jews by father
10) mocked by brethren mocked by brethren Matthew
27:40 And saying, thou be the Son
of God, come down from the
11) brethren refused to receive him same
12) took counsel to kill him plotted to kill Jesus
13) coat dripping with blood gambled for clothes
14) lost sight of when sold to Egypt not see again until his return
15) tempted by world, flesh, devil and resisted same
16) savior of Israel from starvation Savior of world
17) hated by brethren and took to gentiles, could delivered to religious rulers did not
not defend himself and unjustly accused defend self wrongly accused
18) Potiphar probably doubted the accusations Pilate doubted but still scourged
but still sent him to prison
19) found favor in sight of jailer Centurion," Truly, this was the Son
20) numbered with transgressors baker & butler Jesus between two thieves one blessed
and the other judged
Genesis 39:21 But the LORD was with Joseph, and shewed him mercy, and gave him favour in the sight of the keeper of the prison. 22 And the keeper of the prison committed to Joseph's hand all the prisoners that [were] in the prison; and whatsoever they did there, he was the doer [of it]. 23 The keeper of the prison looked not to any thing [that was] under his hand; because the LORD was with him, and [that] which he did, the LORD made [it] to prosper.
Here is where we left Joseph last Wednesday night. He had been thrown into prison for really no legitimate reason. But we notice the phrase so famous for Joseph,"But the Lord was with Joseph." This was the characteristic of Joseph's life he was a part of the Lord. He did what the Lord required and the Lord was with him. This caused him to be recognized. For his honesty and how hard he worked. He was put into the same position as he was in Potiphar's household and he prospered.