Summary: God has given us substance in His blessings to us. This lesson explores our responsibilities to be conduits of blessings, especially in regard to our finances.
1. Today we are thinking of the Substance that God has given us, that is, His blessings to us, especially our financial ones.
2. Former US Congressman Bob McEwen from Ohio (1981-93) told a story about his brother taking his son to McDonald’s. The dad bought the son a large order of fries. While they were sitting at the table, the dad reached over to take a couple of fries. He was shocked when his son pulled the fries away and said, “No. These are mine!” He began to reflect on his son and the fries and thought,
• “My son has no idea that I am the source of his fries. I paid for them and the server gave him fries. I am the reason he has these fries.
• “Not only am I the source of the fries, but being the dad, I have the power to take those fries away from him. OR, I can go back to the counter, give the server $50 and tell him to bury my son in fries.
• “My son doesn’t understand, I don’t need his fries. I can buy a large serving of my own.”
He further reflected, “As a dad I realized that I didn’t want his fries as much as his willingness to share with me.”
3. Can we relate in our relationship with God?
a. God sends us gifts or takes from us or asks us to share and we pull back and say, “No, this is mine.” God: “They don’t understand, I am the Source. I have power to give or to take. I don’t need their gifts, I want their willingness to share.”
b. God wants us to give/share, not because He is needy, but because it is for our growth and good.
c. God wants us to give/share because in our giving we become more like Him.
4. Our relationship with God
a. Is not a Formality//a Hobby (until something better)//A Convenience or Ease//About Receiving
b. IS about experiencing the Presence; Power; Provisions; Partnership; and Praise of God
a. Occurs after giving to the temple (vv. 1-9)
• David’s giving – 1 Chronicles 29:2 2 So I have provided for the house of my God, so far as I was able,
• Leaders – 1 Chronicles 29:6 6 Then the leaders of fathers' houses made their freewill offerings, as did also the leaders of the tribes, the commanders of thousands and of hundreds, and the officers over the king's work.
• People – 29.9 9 Then the people rejoiced because they had given willingly, for with a whole heart they had offered freely to the LORD. David the king also rejoiced greatly.
b. Reminder of God as Source (vv. 10-22)
I. God is the Source
A. God is Powerful
1. Gives all we need
2. Gives more than we imagine (Ephesians 3:20-21)
3. He gives and takes away – We: “That’s mine!”/ God: “No, it’s mine.” Job 1:21b The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.”
B. God is Provider
1. He is Willing to Give – 1 Chronicles 29:14-16
14 “But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able thus to offer willingly? For all things come from you, and of your own have we given you. 15 For we are strangers before you and sojourners, as all our fathers were. Our days on the earth are like a shadow, and there is no abiding. 16 O LORD our God, all this abundance that we have provided for building you a house for your holy name comes from your hand and is all your own.
2. Whatever He asks of Us He Provides
a. We give because He gives
b. It may be a dark trial – He provides the resources we need to carry us through. [Corrie Ten Boom story: “I give you your ticket when it is time for the train.”
C. God is Partner – 1 Chronicles 29:14b, 16
For all things come from you, and of your own have we given you. //
16 O LORD our God, all this abundance that we have provided for building you a house for your holy name comes from your hand and is all your own.
1. God gives because it is His nature – John 3.16
2. God gives for our benefit – to become like Him
3. God gives to take part with us
II. We are the Stream
A. Stream of Praise – 1 Chronicles 29.20-21a
20 Then David said to all the assembly, “Bless the LORD your God.” And all the assembly blessed the LORD, the God of their fathers, and bowed their heads and paid homage to the LORD and to the king. 21 And they offered sacrifices to the LORD,