Summary: Why does God want us to contend for signs and wonders and healings and miracles in the church, and how do we see more of them in our lives?
SUPERNATURAL #5: WHY SIGNS AND WONDERS?
INTRO TO THEME:
• This is our fifth week in the book of Acts, and we will continue studying through this book of the Bible until the Lord releases us to move on to something else.
• The theme of the Book of Acts is found in Acts 1:8: “But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me.”
• Acts is a HISTORY (of what happened in the first century) but it is also a BLUEPRINT (for what God wants to see happen in the church today).
THE BIG IDEA: We will consider today: Why does God want us to contend for signs and wonders and healings and miracles in the church, and how do we see more of them in our lives?
INTRO TO THE BOOK OF ACTS:
“The former account I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, until the day in which He was taken up, after He through the Holy Spirit had given commandments to the apostles whom He had chosen, to whom He also presented Himself alive after His suffering by many infallible proofs, being seen by them during forty days and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.” (Acts 1:1-3).
• Acts is the second part of a two volume work by Doctor Luke. Who was Luke?
o He wrote ¼ of the NT.
o In Colossians 4:14, the Apostle Paul called Luke the beloved physician.
o When Paul was imprisoned in Rome, he wrote: “Demas has forsaken me, having loved this present world… Only Luke is with me.” (2 Tim. 4:9-11).
• The Gospel of Luke chronicled all that Jesus BEGAN to do and teach.
• Therefore, the Book of Acts continues telling the story of what Jesus did and taught – through the church! (quote Acts 10:38).
• “Then He called His twelve disciples together and gave them power and authority over all demons, and to cure diseases. He sent them to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.” (Luke 9:1-2).
• “And when He had called His twelve disciples to Him, He gave them power over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease… And as you go, preach, saying, ’The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.” (Matt. 10:1,7-8).
• Jesus was in essence saying to His disciples, “I want you to go do the stuff I did!”
REVIEW ACTS 1-4:
Chapter 1 - Jesus tells the disciples to wait for the promise of the Holy Spirit and power
Chapter 2 - Day of Pentecost, Holy Spirit falls, Peter preaches, church is born
Chapter 3 - Peter and John go to church, heal the crippled man, Peter preaches Jesus
Chapter 4 - The church prays for more boldness and signs and wonders
“And through the hands of the apostles MANY SIGNS AND WONDERS were done among the people. And they were all with one accord in Solomon’s Porch. Yet none of the rest dared join them, but the people esteemed them highly. And believers were increasingly added to the Lord, multitudes of both men and women, so that they brought the sick out into the streets and laid them on beds and couches, that at least the shadow of Peter passing by might fall on some of them. Also a multitude gathered from the surrounding cities to Jerusalem, bringing sick people and those who were tormented by unclean spirits, and they were all healed.” (Acts 5:12-16).