Summary: If we want to see people’s lives changed, then we need to remove our spectator mentality from Christianity, and realize that every member is a minister! It’s time to unleash the gifts of the Spirit in our midst.
SUPERNATURAL BREAKTHROUGH #2:
UNLEASHING THE GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT
OPENING TEXT: “Then Jesus taught, saying to them, "Is it not written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations’?” (Mark 11:17).
REVIEW: Last week = “Redigging the Wells of Prayer.” We learned that: If we want to see the same power – signs, wonders, healings and miracles – as the church in the book of Acts, then we must have the same priority of prayer as they did.
· This week = “Unleashing the gifts of the Spirit.”
THE BIG IDEA: If we want to see people’s lives changed, then we need to remove our spectator mentality from Christianity, and realize that every member is a minister! It’s time to unleash the gifts of the Spirit in our midst.
“Now in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplying, there arose a complaint against the Hebrews by the Hellenists, because their widows were neglected in the daily distribution. Then the twelve summoned the multitude of the disciples and said, "It is not desirable that we should leave the word of God and serve tables. Therefore, brethren, seek out from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business; but we will give ourselves continually to prayer and to the ministry of the word." And the saying pleased the whole multitude. And they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and the Holy Spirit, and Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, and Nicolas, a proselyte from Antioch, whom they set before the apostles; and when they had prayed, they laid hands on them. Then the word of God spread, and the number of the disciples multiplied greatly in Jerusalem.” (Acts 6:1-7).
“And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ.” (Ephesians 4:11-12).
· QUOTE: “There has been a high degree of unemployment in the church.” Nicky says the church is like a football game: “There are 22,000 people in the stands in desperate need of exercise, watching 22 people in desperate need of a rest.” (Nicky Gumbel, the Alpha Course).
TEXT: “The Spirit of the Lord God is upon Me, Because the Lord has anointed Me To preach good tidings to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives, And the opening of the prison to those who are bound.” (Isaiah 61:1).
· Who does God want to anoint with His Spirit to change lives? “ME” = “YOU!”
· The Bible says, “How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, who went about doing good, and healing all who were oppressed by the devil.” (Acts 10:38).
· Jesus said, “He who believes in me, the works that I do will He do also, and greater works than these.” (John 14:12). “Doing the stuff!”
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT SPIRITUAL GIFTS?
(about 30 listed here)
· Gifts from God the Father (Romans 12:6-8)
- prophecy, serving, teaching, encouraging, giving, leadership & mercy.