Summary: An attitude of just getting by has crept into too many congregations and evangelism has suffered as a result.
Scripture: 2 Kings 7:1 –
Title: “Survival Mode”
Introduction: Let me start by Re - Stating the vision God gave me for this church many years ago, “I’m Doing An Unlikely Work, In An Unlikely Place, With An Unlikely People!”
• God hasn’t changed! / When God says it, He will bring it to Pass!
• God always keeps His Word! / Jeremiah 1:12 “The LORD said to me, “You have seen correctly, for I am watching to see that my word is fulfilled.” / “God cannot lie.” Titus 1:2 / “For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ.” NIV 2 Cor. 1:20
• You can call God the very first “Promise Keeper!”
MAIN POINT – “Under Siege”
1. Israel was feeling the full force of enemy’s army. (They were overwhelmed!)
2. Satan has a basic “Three-Point” tactic that he uses very effectively, “to steal, and to kill, and to destroy” John 10:10 KJV
3. The longer the enemy can e x t e n d the suffering the better he likes it!
4. It’s easy to sit back and try to ride out the STORM! (But sometimes the storm can last t o o long!)
MAIN POINT – “Economic Erosion” (The Effects of the Siege)
1. The “Good Stuff” was depleted!
2. The “Menu” had faded from ‘Godly’ to ‘Unclean!’ (Eating donkey’s heads & dove dung) 6:25
3. Realization of: (“If the Lord doesn’t help what can the king do?”) 6:27
4. Cannibalizing of their YOUNG! 6:28
5. The HEAD of the government wanting to KILL God’s messenger! 6:31
6. Blaming God for the siege! 6:33 “It is the LORD who has brought this trouble on us! Why should I wait any longer for the LORD?”
MAIN POINT – “Breaking News!” (Good News! / Gospel!)
1. Then Elisha said, ‘Hear ye the word of the LORD’; “By this time tomorrow in the markets of Samaria, five quarts of fine flour will cost only half an ounce of silver, and ten quarts of barley grain will cost only half an ounce of silver.” (Back to normal)
2. Elisha was the “Wolf Blitzer” of that day! / “The Siege will soon end!”
3. The grain that was usually available for food, which had been unavailable at any price, would be sold at normal prices in 24 hours! (What a difference a day makes!)
MAIN POINT – “The ‘Just Getting By Guy’” (“Are You Kidding?”)
1. The officer assisting the king said to the man of God, “That couldn’t happen even if the LORD opened the windows of heaven!” 2 Kings 7:2
2. The captain was the “Wet Blanket” of the hour crushing the hopes of all who would listen to him!
3. It’s costly to be a “Doubting Thomas”, Elisha said, “Behold, you shall see it with your eyes, but shall not eat of it.”
MAIN POINT – “At The Gate of Resignation”
1. Terminally ill / Living under siege / Isolated from society / All these things combined together had to give these guys an ATTITUDE!
2. Have you ever gotten sick and tired of being sick and tired?
3. Have you ever gotten to the place where you were ready to do something even if it was wrong? (You were just desperate!)
4. “We might as well take a chance!” / “Why sit here until we die?”
5. “All we have left is our ability to choose!”
MAIN POINT –“It’s Time To Take A Chance On God!”
1. “Why sit here until we die?” 2 Kings 7:3 (Had to sit outside the city)