Summary: Is the gift with the best wrapper, the best gift? Or, is it the gift which carries the most love which is the best gift?
A. HOW DO YOU EXPECT YOUR GIFTS TO BE WRAPPED?
1. Do you expect them to be wrapped in shiny paper and ribbons?
2. What if you got one wrapped in newspapers?
3. What if you got one wrapped in old rags?
B. WHICH IS THE BEST GIFT?
1. Is the gift with the best wrapper, the best gift?
2. Or, is it the gift which carries the most love which is the best gift?
I. WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE GIFT?
A. THE BEST GIFT YOU EVER GOT WAS WRAPPED IN RAGS
1. Luke 2:7 "And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes,
and laid him in a manger..."
2. You would expect Jesus to be wrapped in a purple robe at His birth.
3. I like to watch the portrayals of His birth. Usually they have him all wrapped up in silk or
satin or some other fine linen. That just wasn’t how it was.
4. Jesus didn’t come to put on a show. He came in a plain brown wrapper.
B. GOOD LOOKS -VS- WHO HE WAS
1. It didn’t matter what He looked like
2. What mattered was that He was the Son of God
3. He didn’t come to win a beauty contest He came to die
4. When we get caught up in what things look like it causes us trouble
C. DAVID WAS UNSEEMLY
1. When Samuel came to Jesse’s house to anoint a King he looked at all the boys Jesse
brought and none was it
2. Jesse thought surely it was one of the older stronger boys
3. But God had his eye on a shepherd boy
4. David was a humble little shepherd boy, but one day nations would tremble before
this little shepherd boy
5. He came in a brown paper wrapper, so to speak, but God had chosen him to be the King
D. DOES IT SEEM THAT YOU HAVE BEEN DEALT A DULL LIFE?
1. God may have a call on your life to win your neighborhood
2. ...to win your city
3. ...to win the nations to Jesus
4. God may be calling you to a ministry of prayer and intercession to change the hearts of
people in your neighborhood or your city.
5. What may seem like a dull life to some, may actually cause great rejoicing in heaven. (Luke 15)
II. WHAT IS THE BEST GIFT?
A. IS IT THE BIGGEST GIFT UNDER THE TREE?
1. Maybe you’re giving someone a new La-Z-Boy
2. ...a new color television
3. ...a new car.
4. Perhaps you are giving someone a new wardrobe or a large amount of money.
5. According to 1Cor.13:3, none of these would be the most important gift
1Cor 13:3 (NIV)
3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
B. LOVE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT GIFT ANYONE CAN GIVE
1. Love is what the Father gave to us on that first Christmas.
2. John 3:16 says, "For God so LOVED the world that He gave His only begotten Son...
3. Mary wrapped Him in swaddling clothes or rags and laid Him in a manger.
4. He was the greatest gift ever given to the world.
5. He was the greatest gift we’ve ever received. (Can I have a good AMEN)
C. WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH THIS LOVE GIFT FROM GOD?
1. Have you received Him as your Lord and Savior?
2. Are you sharing this great gift with others?
3. Are you following His two great commandments; to love the Lord and to love your neighbor?
4. If you love the Lord, why not share Him with others?
5. If you love your neighbors, why not share God’s gift of salvation with them?