Summary: Paul teaches us how to be strong in Lord in this lesson on taking up the full armor of God. Too many Christians are defensive minded when Paul lists armor that is completely used for soldiers who are in forward motion in the good fight of faith. There is
The Armor of God, My Protection from Satan and His Demons – Eph. 6:10-18
Illustration: Today I learned that my Mother has a deadly form of c-121 ovarian cancer. More than ever I need to be strong in the Lord and the power of His might. But I need something more. I need to continue to march forward with the full armor of God. Here are some of the guidlines that I cling to for life.
1. Aim: To lead the people to understand how they can take up the full armor of God as they march forward toward the upward call of Jesus Christ.
2. Explanation of the Aim: Paul teaches us how to be strong in Lord in this lesson on taking up the full armor of God. Too many Christians are defensive minded when Paul lists armor that is completely used for soldiers who are in forward motion in the good fight of faith. There is no armor on the backside of a Christian who runs away from the battle.
Paul emphasizes that our battle is not against flesh and blood indicating that we should be cautious against lashing out at human opponents. The real enemy is the evil that comes out of peoples’ sinful nature, the world and the devil. The battle cannot be successfully waged unless we use spiritual armament and weaponry.
3. The Bible Story: Spiritual strength and courage are needed for our spiritual warfare and suffering. The Christian armor is to be used in every situation. There is no putting off our armor till we have done our warfare, and finished our course. The combat is not against human enemies, nor only against our own sinful nature, nor only against the evil that is in the world.
We battle against all forms of evil of which the devil is the originator. Satan is a clever enemy who has many ways of beguiling unstable people. The devil assaults us in the things that belong to our souls, and works to deface Christ’s image in our hearts. We must resolve by God’s grace, not to yield to Satan. Resist him, and he will flee. If we give way, he will gain ground. If we distrust either our cause, or Christ, or our armor, we give him advantage.
4. Prepare to Teach: The INTRODUCTION allows the people to see if they can recall what is involved in the “full armor of God”. Ask the people if they can explain what each element of our armor does for us? See if the people are able to describe what each part of the armor of God does for a forward thinking Christian?
The BIBLE STORY concentrates on making observation, interpretations and applications from the full armor of God found in Ephesians 6:10-18. Help the people to see a picture of what a soldier would look like when he is equipped with the full armor of God.
The MEANING FOR OUR LIVES gives the people an opportunity to make applications from the lesson. Ask the people what part of their armor is strongest? Ask the people what part of their armor is the weakest and why is this so? Have the teacher explain how to put on the full armor of God every morning during their daily devotions. Give examples of how each part of the armor of God helps the Christian have both an offensive as well as a defensive strategy toward spiritual warfare.
Guidelines and Lessons for Spiritual Warriors
Thank God that he has given us the belt of truth so we can fight against the evil lies that try to make us detour from Christ’s path. Only believers have the ability to understand God’s truth through the Spirit’s illumination.
1. The belt of truth helps us fight against evil lies, distortions of fact or sinister insinuations against us. We can thank God that He guides us in all truth.
2. We also can praise God for giving us the breastplate of righteousness since the devil often tries to attack our emotions. The breastplate guards our heart and assures us that God protects us from feeling like we are not loved or approved. The righteousness of Christ, imputed to us, is a breastplate against the arrows of wrath. The righteousness of Christ implanted in us, fortifies our hearts against the attacks from Satan.
3. The shield of faith is useful for warding off the insults, accusations and setbacks that the evil one throws at us. With faith in God we are given an eternal perspective that helps us see beyond the difficulties in our circumstances.
4. The shoes help to take the good news of forgiveness through Jesus Christ to those who need salvation. Satan would want us to think that the task is too difficult to help win the lost. The shoes of God give us the motivation to continue to be His witnesses throughout the world.