Summary: This is the 10th sermon in the series "The End". This sermon looks at the 6th Trumpet Judgment.
Sunday Evening, June 2, 2002 Bel Aire Baptist Church
Series: “The End” [#10]
TERRIBLE TRUMPETS (Part 3)
1. Last Sunday evening we studied the first woe, which is also the fifth Trumpet Judgment. Remember that those that ere stung did not die, but in this next judgment there will be a large amount of death.
2. This evening we are going to study the sixth Trumpet Judgment, which is also the second woe.
The Second Woe
The Four Angels
1. Here we find that after the sixth trumpet is sounded a voice coming from the horns of the golden altar says, “Release the four angels who are bound at the great river Euphrates.”
2. I believe that these four angels must be four fallen angels because they have been bound. These fallen angels seem to be anxious to be released for destruction.
3. Notice how God had planned the use of these four evil angels and in God’s time they will be released to kill one-third of mankind. This just shows God’s sovereignty.
The Euphrates River
1. The Euphrates River is the most prominent river referred to in the Bible. It formed one of the boundaries of the Garden of Eden (Genesis 2:14). It was also a boundary for Israel (Genesis 15:18), the easternmost boundary of Egypt, and the boundary of the Persian Empire.
2. The Euphrates River is also used as a symbol of Israel’s enemies. This is no accident that these four angels are today bound in that area of the world. Some of the world’s greatest events took place near the Euphrates River. The first sin of humankind was committed in that area. The first war was fought in that area. The tower of Babel was built in defiance of God in that area. Nimrod built the city of Babylon in that area which is portrayed as a very evil place. Babylon was also where the children of Israel were taken captive.
3. It is also this same area that the city of Babylon will be rebuilt (Revelation 18). This city will become the headquarters of the commercial, religious, and military activities of the world under the Antichrist’s rule.
The Evil Army
1. Talk about an awesome army. There will be 200 million horse-like creatures with riders on their backs. These riders are not human, but are demon-like evil spirits, which will be led by the four evil angels.
2. The creatures they are riding are like horses with lion heads that spew out fire, smoke, and sulfur. They also have tails like snakes that can strike.
3. These horse-like creatures will kill one-third of the world’s population.
1. The believers will again be exempt from this judgment. As terrible as all of these judgments have been, how is it that people will still not repent?
2. It is amazing to me that after all of the death and sorrow that people would not change, but it happens even today.
3. Instead of turning to God, people will rebel against God. What are the sins that keep them from coming in repentance to a saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ? It is the same sins that keep people from coming to Him today.