Summary: "Good" Friday was good for us, not for Jesus. As dark as it appeared, the following Sunday made all the difference.
1. It's Friday, But Sunday's Comin'
Dr. Tony Campolo once delivered a sermon entitled "It's Friday But Sunday's Comin'."
Campolo preached that sermon one Sunday at his home church in Philadelphia. It is primarily an African-American congregation. He said He was really preaching his heart out that particular Sunday, and the congregation really encouraged him.
After he finished preaching Campolo went over and sat down by the preacher and said something like "bet you can't top that" to which the elderly Black Minister said, "boy, just look, listen and learn." Campolo said for the next hour and a half his preacher preached one of the best sermons he has ever heard using the recurring phrase "It's Friday but Sunday's Comin'."
2. What a difference a few days make.
* This time of the year a few days can make a big difference. It can be 75 or 80 degrees on one day and a couple of days later it could be in the 30's or 40's.
* On January 19th, 2008 President George W. Bush was the leader of the Free World and arguably one of the most powerful men in the world. But a day later when President Obama was inaugurated George W. Bush got on a plane to TX and like in some of those old black and white westerns Bush flew into the sunset and hasn't been heard from since.
* In the case of Jesus a few days made a drastic difference. On Palm Sunday the people of Israel welcomed Jesus into Jerusalem with shouts of Hosanna, and "Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord." But only a few days later many of these same people were shouting 'crucify him.'
3. Matthew 27.45-61
I. Some Events Leading to "Good Friday"
A. "Palm Sunday" or the "Triumphal Entry" -- Matthew 21.1-11
1. Palm Branches -- Patriotic Symbols -- Maccabean Revolt
2. "Hosanna" -- Save Us (from Rome)
3. Actually, this is the Lamb Selection Day for Passover (Exodus 12.3)
B. Setting Things Right -- the House Cleaning -- Matthew 21.12-17
1. Zechariah 9.9
2. Donkey and Colt in Matthew (the other three colt or young donkey)
4. Setting things in order in the temple -- house of prayer for the nations
C. The Last Supper and the Lord's Supper -- Matthew 26.17-29
1. Key lessons and predictions
2. LS -- remembrance of me;
D. Prayer in Gethsemane -- Matthew 26.36-46
E. Arrest, Trial and Crucifixion -- Matthew 26.47-27.56
1. Crucified at the third hour; death at the ninth hour -- times of prayer and sacrifice in the temple
2. Darkness at the ninth hour/noon
b. God brought the darkness to his Lamb
c. Colossians 1.13-14: 13 He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, 14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
3. Veil torn in two and Earthquake-- 27.50-51
4. Resurrected Saints -- 27.52-53
F. Burial -- Matthew 27.57-61
II. Special Effects of "Good Friday" on the Disciples