Summary: - Like God Fathers do not always keep us from the pain of mistakes - But we are right there to walk beside our children when they go through them
I. We need to be thankful for Dads who teach us right from wrong. (v.1)
A. Parental instruction is a commandment from God
- Pro_1:8 Hear, my son, your father's instruction, and forsake not your mother's teaching,
B. Children need to learn priorities
- Pro_8:10 Take my instruction instead of silver, and knowledge rather than choice gold,
II. We need to be thankful for Dads who are honorable and teach us that. (v.2)
- Men our honorableness needs to be consistent
A. True honor comes from God
- Psa_84:11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly.
- Abraham received two angels and the Lord
- Lot received only two angels
B. True Honor begins with honoring our heavenly Father first
- Pro_15:33 The fear of the LORD is instruction in wisdom, and humility comes before honor.
III. We need to be thankful for Dads who are patient. (v.4)
- Gal_5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
- Children do not often know just how patient Fathers are.
- Children do not often pick up on the times we are teaching them how to grow up and live.
- Fathers are so many times the unsung hero’s
- Refer to last week’s illustration
IV. Being thankful for our dads pleases the Lord. (v.3)
- Being thankful is an expression of honor
- Exo 20:12 "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the LORD your God is giving you.
- This is a promise from God.
- This is reaping what we sow
- This is bearing the fruit of our labor
- Gal 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
- 1Th 5:18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
- Final illustration “The Miracle of God’s presence”
- Like God Fathers do not always keep us from the pain of mistakes
- But we are right there to walk beside our children when they go through them.