Summary: Fathers who are godly should be appreciated
Introduction: Illustration # 1 “playing with kids in the grass”
I. We need to be thankful for Dads who teach us right from wrong. (v.1)
- Illustration # 2 “hiding cigar”
A. Parental instruction is a commandment from God
- Pro_1:8 Hear, my son, your father's instruction, and forsake not your mother's teaching,
B. Children need to learn priorities
- Pro_8:10 Take my instruction instead of silver, and knowledge rather than choice gold,
II. We need to be thankful for Dads who are honorable and teach us that. (v.2)
- Illustration # 3 “old olive tree”
- Men our honorableness needs to be consistent
A. True honor comes from God
- Psa_84:11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly.
- Abraham received two angels and the Lord
- Lot received only two angels
B. True Honor begins with honoring our heavenly Father first
- Pro_15:33 The fear of the LORD is instruction in wisdom, and humility comes before honor.
III. We need to be thankful for Dads who are patient. (v.4)
- Illustration # 4 “the son and the rose”
- Gal_5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
- Children do not often know just how patient Fathers are.
- Children do not often pick up on the times we are teaching them how to grow up and live.
- Fathers are so many times the unsung hero’s
- Refer to last week’s illustration
- Illustration # 5 “patience”
IV. Being thankful for our dads pleases the Lord. (v.3)
- Being thankful is an expression of honor
- Exo 20:12 "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the LORD your God is giving you.
- This is a promise from God.
- This is reaping what we sow
- This is bearing the fruit of our labor
- Gal 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
Conclusion: Illustration “A small handprint on the wall”
- 1Th 5:18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
- Final illustration “The Miracle of God’s presence”
- Like God Fathers do not always keep us from the pain of mistakes
- But we are right there to walk beside our children when they go through them.