Summary: Let's focus on what we have instead of what we want- and be thankful for it.
A. David's Great Song of Thanksgiving.
(1) He encourages himself to give thanks for daily.
(2) He reminds himself of the many benefits God
has given him.
B. The Pilgrims Remembered God's Benefits.
(1) They arrived November11, 1620, on the rock coast of Cape Cod.
(2) They came to the New World to seek a place to worship in freedom.
(3) They suffered many hardships the first winter, including the death of half of them.
(4) They established the first Thanksgiving in spite of their many problems.
C. WHAT SHOULD WE BE THANKFUL FOR?
A. WE SHOULD BE THANKFUL FOR THE ESSENTIALS OF LIFE.
But if we have food and clothing, with these we shall be content (satisfied).
1. Having food should make the Pilgrims thankful;
(a) A good harvest made the Pilgrims thankful they had little else.
(b) Millions of people go to bed hungry; enough to eat is cause for thanksgiving.
2. Having adequate clothing should make us thankful.
(a) Winter finds many people cold and insufficiently protected
(b) Those who are comfortably clothed are a privilege few
3. What other essentials do we take for granted.
4. Let's focus on what we have instead of what we want- and be thankful for it.
B. WE SHOULD BE THANKFUL FOR EVERYTHING IN LIFE.
Thank [God] in everything [no matter what the circumstances may be, be thankful and give thanks], for this is the will of God for you [who are] in Christ Jesus [the Revealer and Mediator of that will].
1. All things work together for the good of those who love God.
(Rom. 8:28) And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
2. Our loving Father has the whole world in His hands
(a) Be thankful for His weather, whatever it may be
(b) Be thankful for His promises that meet us in life's storms
(c) Be thankful that we know the One who holds the future and can rest in His care
3. Be thankful that there is a design in our difficulties
(a) Trouble teaches us patient trust in the Lord (Rom. 5:3)
(b) Problems large and small are intended to make. Us more like Jesus (Rom. 8:29)
4. Be thankful for trouble that has not come our way
(a) God spares us many heartaches of which we are unaware
(b) He delivers us from destruction (vs 4)
C. WE SHOULD BE THANKFUL FOR ETERNAL LIFE (2 Cor. 9:15)
Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift. (2 Corinthians 9:15 KJV).
Now thanks be to God for His Gift, [precious] beyond telling [His indescribable, inexpressible, free Gift]! (2 Corinthians 9:15 AMP)
1. God's grace should make us thankful
(a) We are all sinners, under serving of salvation (Rom. 3:23).
(b) We deserve only death and hell.
(Rom. 6:23) For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
(c) The gift of His grace is eternal life (Rom 6:23; Eph. 2:8-9).
(Ephesians 2:8-9 KJV)
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.