Summary: Sermon reminding us of the command to thankful in all things. One of the greatest reason our witness can be weakened or destroyed is an ungrateful spirit.
Something I found on the internet
Tired of making resolutions year after year that you never keep?
Why not promise to do something you can actually accomplish?
Here are some resolutions that you can use as a starting point:
1. Gain weight. At least 30 pounds.
2. Stop exercising. Waste of time.
3. Read less. Makes you think.
4. Watch more TV. You’ve been missing some good stuff.
5. Procrastinate more. Starting tomorrow.
6. Stop bringing lunch from home: Eat out more.
7. Get in a whole NEW rut!
8. Spend your summer vacation in Cyberspace.
9. Don’t eat cloned meat.
10. Create loose ends.
11. Get more toys.
12. Get further in debt.
13. Don’t believe politicians.
14. Break at least one traffic law.
15. Avoid airplanes that spontaneously drop 1000 feet.
16. Don’t swim with piranhas or sharks.
17. Associate with even worse business clients.
18. Spread out priorities beyond ability to keep track of them.
19. Wait around for opportunity.
20. Focus on the faults of others.
21. Mope about faults.
22. Never make New Year’s resolutions again.
Intro: Many people around this time of year make New Years resolutions. They are usually not quite as silly or ludicrous as the ones I just read you. However, they are just as much less likely to be kept than the silly ones. Some think New Years resolutions are bad. But I like Jesus think that things are not intrinsically bad, but the intentions of the heart can defile anything. So as we are at the beginning of the year I want you all to think what were you New Years resolutions this year.
Now that everyone has thought about it for a while how many of you made a resolution to be thankful this year.
Unfortunately the United States of America started out thanking God for our rights and moving to denying there even is a God to thank.
You may be saying why is it so important to be thankful, I am glad you asked. Let us start our journey in Philippians 4.6-7
A letter Paul wrote from Prison. It is a missionary thank you letter for the gift sent to Paul from the Philippians.
It helps us to know that Paul was addressing some specific things in this letter to the Philippians. If you read it closely you can find he is hinting towards selfishness, self interest, conceit, & Pride.
I. In everything prayer, supplication, with Thanksgiving.
A) We enter into the gates of God with Thanksgiving. (Psalm 100.4)
B) What do you think the number 1 turnoff to a non-Christian is?
Besides a hypocrite, An unhappy unthankful Christian.
1) If we know in whom we have believed why do we gripe instead of give
2) Oh my goodness they are giving me too much work at work
3) I can’t stand having homework from school
4) Mr Jones has a better car than me
5) They just don’t understand the pressure Im under
2. 1 Thess 5. 16-18 Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, In everything give thanks
** Christians or Children of God are expected to abound or overflow in gratitude**
Col 2.7, 3.15, 17, 4.2
a) Do I gotta? Yes!
Look at the verse 1 Thess 5 16-18. So many people want to know God’s will in their lives but always seem to bypass the very simple verses that spell it out.