Summary: Happy Thanksgiving!
Sermon: Thanksgiving 2020
- I must say that I can think of some happier Thanksgivings that we’ve had.
- On the other hand, I can also say that we have a lot to be thankful for.
- Let me open with our scripture that screams Thanksgiving, & let’s look at a reason
to be thankful. A reason to rejoice.
1 Thessalonians 5:18 give thanks
18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
- In everything we have reason to be thankful.
- That’s something to think about.
Q- Can I really be thankful in everything?
- I think it is easy to forget about how great our God is.
- When things happen that seem out of our control. It’s hard not to wonder why this
- It’s very easy to point your finger at this virus.
- We wonder why this could have happened, or even ask why God allowed this to
- In those two thoughts though, we forget the sovereignty of God.
- Listen to Paul.
33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!
34 For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor?
35 Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again?
36 For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.
- There is an ultimate end to all of this creation. The day, the hour, or the exact minute
is uncertain for us, but to God He knows the exact moment this world, as we know it,
- So, throughout your whole life. We have to realize God has dictated what is
happening in your life.
Q- Does that mean the bad things came from God, as a sort of punishment or
- It’s easy to get that mode of thinking.
Q- What if you look at it like this?
- The bad comes because of sin. Sin spawns all of this corruption happening in
- The dictating that God does, is to simply prepare, protect, & keep us from peril.
11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.
- So, if we go back to the Sovereignty of God. The King is seated upon the throne, &
moving each piece of this chessboard of life, simply to prosper/bless us.
Q- Why aren’t we shouting it from the housetops of how great our God is?
- When you go back in history. People shouted great praises to Herod, even calling
- They didn’t do this out of respect, or honor to Herod. They did this out of fear for
what he could do to them.
- Fear moves people!!
- Our God is giving to us great prosperity, & life!
- Instead of people praising Him. They would rather mock, & ridicule Him.
- Here’s something I can’t wrap my head around. The idea is that grace is
seen as weak, & force is seen, in no matter what form it comes in, as great.
- Jesus’ way to life involved One death, His own!
Q- Why wouldn’t we be thankful for this?
Q- Why do you think so many of the Jewish people discredited Jesus at His
- The answer was simple, how could they be thankful when their King was dying, or
dead. This couldn’t be their King.
- Thanksgiving hangs on the balance of how you perceive what God has given you.
- The mindset, He was supposed to fix all of this, but now He’s dead.
- That’s the human mindset!
Q- Are we called to have a human mindset, or a Godly one?
- Paul says,
16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.
Q- Are you alive?
- I know you might have pains or troubles, but they are just reminders that you are
- The last time I checked, a corpse doesn’t receive a bill for electricity.
- We are alive now, & in Christ Jesus we are alive forever more!
- Listen to Peter,
24 For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:
25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.