Summary: We need to be thankful God's way
I. The basis of our Thanksgiving
A) Confession: involved recognition of our failure to meet God’s Holy standard
- this was done by thanksgiving offerings Leviticus 22:29 and 2 Chron 29:31
B) Thanksgiving: the means by which we acknowledge the receipt of God’s forgiveness
- Psa 118:21 I thank you that you have answered me and have become my salvation.
- Eph 1:6 to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved.
- Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace,
C) Praise: the overt vocal and often public expression of acknowledgement
- Heb_13:15 Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name.
- Through Jesus- acknowledging that we have what we have because of his provision of salvation on the cross.
II. The Nature of our Thanksgiving - agreement
• A whole hearted agreement with God
- This brings to mind an understanding of salvation
- Romans 10:9,10
- Our confession is to be based on agreement with God
- We agree we are sinners and that we have not met God’s Holy standard
- We agree that we need salvation only God can give
- We agree that we deserve the penalty of death Romans 6:23
- We agree that God would be gracious to save us from that penalty
- We agree that sin is bad and we should not be doing it.
- The need to be in agreement is the purpose behind the physical sacrifices in the OT
- But before we could give acceptable sacrifices we must first be in agreement with God Psalm 51
- This is what I believe was wrong with Cain’s sacrifice. His heart was not in full agreement with God. Probably over just who it was that provided that which he was to sacrifice. He might have given himself more credit than God. A prideful Spirit.
III. The Application of our Thanksgiving
A) An Informed Thanks
- Make sure your thankfulness comes from your knowledge of God from His word.
- Otherwise your thankfulness can never be in agreement and that can lead to pride and selfishness.
- Make sure God is the object of your thanks and He is in agreement with the subject of your thanks.
- Can you thank God for what you have or are doing?
- Or would He be displeased with you because of it?
B) Intercessory Thanks
- Paul made a habit of this
- Php 1:3 I thank my God in all my remembrance of you,
- Php 1:4 always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy
C) An Imperative Thanks
- Dictionary: absolutely necessary or required; unavoidable:
- Rom 15:9 and in order that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy. As it is written, "Therefore I will praise you among the Gentiles, and sing to your name."
- When we share the gospel it is not just about the act but also about the attitude
- Do we share the gospel because we are thankful or because we are just relating facts
- Psa_57:7 My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise.
- That psalm is both in agreement and an imperative
- It is an imperative that we thank God both privately and publically