Summary: This sermon is to encourage listeners not to let life's "detours, delays discouragements" distract them from God's sovereign work in their lives.
- Have you ever wondered
- Why bad things happen to good people
- When I am asked that question
- I must respond with:
„X God is sovereign
„X His ways are higher than ours
„X When you can't trace / trust
- If we're not careful we will let life's...
- Hold us in our THENS
...and we will miss our NOW
Verse 1 THEN Moses
- They've been on a journey
- They're about to reach their destiny (40 years)
- They're on the brink of a breakthrough
- Right across from Jericho / Canaan
Verse 4 THEN the Lord said
- You will not go in (detour)
- Have you ever had a detour
- You would have been farther along...
o ...but a detour
Verse 5 THEN Moses died (AND in NIV & KJV, original THEN)
- This was an end to a season
- We must understand seasons
- Many people try to do...
...the wrong thing in
...the wrong season
* 40 years of a promise...
* Moses was bad -- he liberated a people from a tyrant
* They are heading somewhere
* They are working toward something
* But THEN Moses died!
THEN = A concluding word
= A summary word
* This is not how the story is supposed to end.
Verse 4 A promise on the brink
Verse 5 THEN Moses died
I have a promise -- that needs fulfilling
I have a destiny -- to reach
* Have you ever had a THEN (conclusion)
* When you were supposed to have a NOW?
...THEN I filed bankruptcy
...THEN he left
...THEN the baby died
...THEN the divorce was final
...THEN Moses died
* And I don't know what to do
o Preacher, I'm stuck in my THEN
* To the people
o Moses' death was a major death
o They don't know they're in the 34th chapter of Deuteronomy (the last chapter)
o What do you do when you have an end...
o ...when you thought you were at a beginning
o What do you do when
„X You hit a detour
„X THENS try to stop you
- This is how far you can come and no further
* I've had those moments as a Pastor
Moses died - dilemma
Jordan flooded - detour
Jericho fortified - defining moment
* I've come to tell you
o That God never has a THEN
o Without providing a NOW!
Joshua 1:1 NOW after
Joshua 1:9 NOW Joshua
Then = ending word -- conclusion - summary
Now = a new beginning -- new season
* Aren't you glad that when one chapter closes
* God can open another
* You can't even die without a new biginning
* There is a Canaan
* Nobody ever invents anything that doesn't have a purpose
* God our creator didn't create us without a purpose
* You might be at a:
* But I've come to tell you to turn the page
* And look for your NOW!
* If the road is closed...
* ...God has an alternate route
* Booker T. Washington
o Was detoured because he was born in slavery
* Thomas Edison
o Was detoured because he was born deaf
* Abraham Lincoln
o Was detoured because he had illiterate parents
* Julius Caesar
o Was detoured because he had epilepsy
* There is nothing worse than to be on your way to your destiny
o And hit a detour
o Get behind
EXAMPLE: my car getting jumped when I was 18
* I want those who are stuck in a THEN
* Facing detours to remember