Summary: Paul’s prayers are wonderful.
1. In Luke’s gospel, LUKE records for us a time when the disciples had a important question.
a. They were struggling with an issue. They were unsure…
b. How are we supposed to pray? Read passage…
2. Prayer has been a topic of discussion for many years.
a. Why pray? How often? How do we? Why should we pray?
Three men were arguing over the proper posture for prayer. The first man said that you should be on your knees with head bowed in reverence to the Almighty. The second argued that you should stand with head raised looking into the heavens and speak into the face of God as a little child. The third spoke up and said "I know nothing about these positions, but I do know this: the finest praying I’ve ever done was hanging upside down off the side of my roof!”
3. Prayer has been called one of the highest forms of communication available to man.
a. Think about it for a moment, God listens & responds to our prayers.
b. The Creator & Sustainer of the universe is interested in you and me!
4. The Bible is full of prayers and this morning we turn our attention to a prayer of Paul.
a. He has two in this epistle and they both give us great insight into both prayer and the heart of the apostle.
b. You’ll notice that Paul always prayed for spiritual things.
c. While we might focus our prayers on the physical and material realm, Paul aimed his prayers at the heart!
Before we move into Paul’s prayer, let’s cover vv9-14 as Paul continues to highlight the Spirit’s wonderful blessings to us.
I. (1:9-12) Abundant Blessings
1. (9-10) So that we are one in Him.
a. Not only has He forgiven us, chosen us, predestined us, washed us, cleansed us and elevated us… BUT
b. He’s made known to us by grace what the BIG PICTURE is!
c. God is moving everything forward to the time with Jesus Christ will rule over ALL things in heaven and earth!
d. It’s all taking us to Jesus. He is the pre-eminent one.
2. (11-12) We have obtained an inheritance.
a. Our inheritance is in Him. He has all we will ever need.
b. Not our 401k, not job security, not homes, cars, money…
c. Oh that His glory would be seen through His church.
d. His church… you and me… are the light of this world.
II. (1:13-14) Spiritual Security
1. (13) Sealed by the Spirit…
a. They heard the word of truth.
b. Literally means ‘to hear with understanding’.
Romans 10.9-10 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
NOTE: God has ordained the preaching and teaching of God’s Word as a means of saving souls…
· Now not everyone receives the word… but seeds are planted.
· Jesus shared a parable about a sower… - Matthew 13.3ff
NOTE: Four seeds fell on four different places.
· Wayside: Doesn’t understand it and the wicked one rips off.
· Stony Places: Hears and is excited, but tribulation/persecution.
· Thorns: receives it but the cares of this world deceitfulness of riches take it away.
· Good ground: Hears, understands and bears fruit.
NOTE: 75% of all the seed is doesn’t take root. That’s sad.
· But 25% does… it what a crop that seed produces.
APP: You and I are spiritual farmers. Some of us are watering, some are sowing, but God gives the increase.
1 Cor. 3.6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase.
Now, to those who received and embraced the Word… you and me…
· We were sealed with the Holy Spirit of Promise! Great Picture.
NOTE: You’ll remember that Ephesus was a large and busy seaport.
· A place where goods were crated and sealed for transport.
· The seal was a ball of wax placed upon the box. The owner would then set his signet seal in the wax marking it as his alone.
· Receiving port, the signet mark was used to identify the owner.
APP: We are in the hand of God and no one will take you out!
He knows what you’re going through. We’re in His hand.
· If he allows some wind then it will be windy.
· If he allows rain, then we’ll get wet…
· Know that whatever he allows… we’re sealed. We’re in His hand.
2. (14) The Holy Spirit is sort of like a down payment
a. I’m His purchased possession, redeemed by His blood.