Summary: Paul’s prayers are wonderful.
1. In Luke’s gospel, LUKE records for us a time when the disciples had a important question.
a. They were struggling with an issue. They were unsure…
b. How are we supposed to pray? Read passage…
2. Prayer has been a topic of discussion for many years.
a. Why pray? How often? How do we? Why should we pray?
Three men were arguing over the proper posture for prayer. The first man said that you should be on your knees with head bowed in reverence to the Almighty. The second argued that you should stand with head raised looking into the heavens and speak into the face of God as a little child. The third spoke up and said "I know nothing about these positions, but I do know this: the finest praying I’ve ever done was hanging upside down off the side of my roof!”
3. Prayer has been called one of the highest forms of communication available to man.
a. Think about it for a moment, God listens & responds to our prayers.
b. The Creator & Sustainer of the universe is interested in you and me!
4. The Bible is full of prayers and this morning we turn our attention to a prayer of Paul.
a. He has two in this epistle and they both give us great insight into both prayer and the heart of the apostle.
b. You’ll notice that Paul always prayed for spiritual things.
c. While we might focus our prayers on the physical and material realm, Paul aimed his prayers at the heart!
Before we move into Paul’s prayer, let’s cover vv9-14 as Paul continues to highlight the Spirit’s wonderful blessings to us.
I. (1:9-12) Abundant Blessings
1. (9-10) So that we are one in Him.
a. Not only has He forgiven us, chosen us, predestined us, washed us, cleansed us and elevated us… BUT
b. He’s made known to us by grace what the BIG PICTURE is!
c. God is moving everything forward to the time with Jesus Christ will rule over ALL things in heaven and earth!
d. It’s all taking us to Jesus. He is the pre-eminent one.
2. (11-12) We have obtained an inheritance.
a. Our inheritance is in Him. He has all we will ever need.
b. Not our 401k, not job security, not homes, cars, money…
c. Oh that His glory would be seen through His church.
d. His church… you and me… are the light of this world.
II. (1:13-14) Spiritual Security
1. (13) Sealed by the Spirit…
a. They heard the word of truth.
b. Literally means ‘to hear with understanding’.
Romans 10.9-10 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
NOTE: God has ordained the preaching and teaching of God’s Word as a means of saving souls…
· Now not everyone receives the word… but seeds are planted.
· Jesus shared a parable about a sower… - Matthew 13.3ff
NOTE: Four seeds fell on four different places.
· Wayside: Doesn’t understand it and the wicked one rips off.
· Stony Places: Hears and is excited, but tribulation/persecution.
· Thorns: receives it but the cares of this world deceitfulness of riches take it away.