Summary: Look at the 2nd apostle of Jesus called and His best friend. Study the 25 incidents in Peter's life. Watch his growth in faith, his decline, and his 2nd rise to greatness. Great for the development of character in our lives.
THE 12 APOSTLES OF JESUS: PETER
Jn. 1:41-42, etc.
1. We’re going to look at Peter & when he walked on water.
2. I heard a story about 3 pastors who went fishing. They agreed on a lot of doctrine except one believed that miracles and gifts ceased with the apostles.
3. As they were fishing they ran out of bait. One of the pastors said “I have more bait in my tackle box sitting on the shore. I’ll go get it.” He then proceeded to get out of the boat, walk to the shore, grab the box, and return. The doubtful pastor was speechless.
4. Soon they became thirsty so the other pastor said “I have some drinks on the shore. I’ll go get them.” He then proceeded to get out of the boat, walk to the shore, grab the drinks, and return.
5. Suddenly the doubtful pastor was furious. “My faith is just as great as yours. If you 2 can walk on water so can I.” He proceeded to get out of the boat and immediately sank.
6. His two friends pulled him back in the boat but he brushed them away and once again got out of the boat and sank. After 2 more attempts one pastor looked at the other pastor and asked “Do you think we should show him where the rocks are?”
7. Peter had no rocks. He was walking on water.
“The first thing Andrew did was to find his brother Simon and tell him, “We have found the Messiah” (that is, the Christ). And he brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas” (which, when translated, is Peter) John 1:41-42.
1. Today is our 2nd part in the series, “The 12 Apostles of Jesus.” These 12 men, like us, had all kinds of character flaws.
2. As we study them, we can see how Jesus will still walk with us in our imperfection.
3. As the old song says “What a friend we have in Jesus.” Today we will meet his best friend while He walked the earth. We will possibly see some of our traits in his life.
4. The title of this message is, “Peter: the 2ND Apostle of Jesus.”
I. PETER: JESUS’ MAIN MAN
The Lord Jesus and Peter went way back.
A. MEETING JESUS
1. Peter met the Lord Jesus the day after Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist in the River Jordan. Andrew, Peter's brother went and got Peter and brought him to Jesus.
2. Jesus looked at him and said, "You are Simon ("reed")... you will be called Cephas/Peter” ("rock"), John 1:42. Jesus saw the possibilities in Peter and what he would become, renaming him.
3. He was probably at the Wedding of Cana (John 2) where the water was turned into wine.
4. He saw Jesus cleanse the Temple, Jn. 2:13-17.
5. He saw the Woman by the Well, Jn. Jn. 4:4-42.
6. He saw the Nobleman's son healed, John 4:46-54.
7. The decisive moment of dedication seems to be when Jesus did a miracle in Peter’s boat.
B. THE HUMANLY IMPOSSIBLE HAPPENED
Luke 5:1-7 The Miraculous Catch in Peter’s Boat
1. "Great" multitude of fishes caught.