Summary: The apostles were the foundation of the Church. The apostles were sent out to establish churches. The apostles were called Disciples while they were working and being trained by God, but they became Apostles after they were sent to do the work that they were trained do. They were to start churches.
The 12 Disciples
The apostles were the foundation of the Church. The apostles were sent out to establish churches. The apostles were called Disciples while they were working and being trained by God, but they became Apostles after they were sent to do the work that they were trained do. They were to start churches.
Revelation 21:14 says 14And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb. – The names of the 12 apostles are entrenched in walls of the New Jerusalem.
The 12 Disciples were 12 Jewish men who followed Jesus throughout his 3 yr ministry on earth.
11 of the 12 Disciples were from Galilee, except for one which was from Judea. This one from Judea was named Judas.
Some of the Disciples were married and some were not. Some sample scriptures are: Mark 1:29-31:29And forthwith, when they were come out of the synagogue, they entered into the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John. 30But Simon’s wife’s mother lay sick of a fever, and anon they tell him of her. 31And he came and took her by the hand, and lifted her up; and immediately the fever left her, and she ministered unto them. 1 Corinthians 9:3-6 says 3Mine answer to them that do examine me is this, 4Have we not power to eat and to drink? 5Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas? 6Or I only and Barnabas, have not we power to forbear working?
The 12 Disciples by name
2. Bartholomew (Nathanael)
3. James (son of Zebedee)
4. James (the lesser or younger)
5. John (the son of Thunder, the Revelation)
7. Thaddeus (Jude)
9. Peter (Cephas, Rock, Simon)
12. Thomas (Doubting Thomas) He was a born a twin.
About the Disciples
First we will introduce you to a term called martyrdom. These were people who died for the cause of Jesus. All of the Disciples/Apostles were martyred in one way or another.
• He was a fisherman by occupation
• He was the brother of Peter and the son of Jonahs.
• He lived in Capernaum.
• He was a disciple of John the Baptist originally. (Mark 1:1 -18).
• He brought Peter to Jesus
• He was condemned to die on the cross.
• Andrew felt so unworthy to be crucified in the same fashion as Jesus, he requested to be crucified with an X-shaped cross.
• His Symbol: Two crossed fish in the shape of an X or the X shape
• Personality trait: Enthusiastic about Christ, Inquisitive, resourceful
• Life lesson: He felt that we should go out and eagerly share the good news about Jesus Christ
• Occupation was uncertain.
• He was the son of Talmai.
• Lived in Cannon Galilee.
• We think he was a Romanian Missionary.
• Many scholars think he came from royal blood. His name means son of Talmai. 2 Samuel 3:3 3And his second, Chileab, of Abigail the wife of Nabal the Carmelite; and the third, Absalom the son of Maacah the daughter of Talmai king of Geshur; – Talmai was the king of Geshur whose daughter was Maacah which was the wife of David the Mother of Absalom.