Summary: We will look at the three anointings of David which outlined how God brings Divine Acceleration / Promotion in the life of a believer. He tests us in a graduation manner - from little to much - until we can reach a place of God's Divine Trust.
SERIES: DAVID - A MAN AFTER GOD’S OWN HEART: PART 13: Divine Acceleration / Favor - Your Promotion Is Coming (PT 2)
1. 1 SAM. 16:12 So God sent for David and had him brought in. He was glowing with health and had a fine appearance and handsome features. Then the Lord said, “Rise and anoint him; this is the one.” 13 So Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the presence of his brothers, and from that day on the Spirit of the Lord came powerfully upon David. Samuel then went to Ramah.
2. 2 SAM. 2: 1 In the course of time, David inquired of the Lord. “Shall I go up to one of the towns of Judah?” he asked. The Lord said, “Go up.” David asked, “Where shall I go?” “To Hebron,” the Lord answered. 2 So David went up there with his two wives, Ahinoam of Jezreel and Abigail, the widow of Nabal of Carmel. 3 David also took the men who were with him, each with his family, and they settled in Hebron and its towns. 4 Then the men of Judah came to Hebron, and there they anointed David king over the tribe of Judah.
3. 2 SAM. 5: 3 When all the elders from all the tribes of Israel had come to King David at Hebron, the king made a covenant with them at Hebron before the Lord, and they anointed David king over Israel.
INTRO: DAVID: A MAN AFTER GOD'S OWN HEART PT. 13: PROMOTION IS COMING
When People Saw David Crowned King That Day In Hebron, Some Might Have Said: “What A Lucky Boy!” Same thing they said for Joseph. Also for you. But for Christians, luck has nothing to do with it. People who don’t know what you have been through have different stories to tell. They don’t know how much you have trusted God for your marriage, school, Christian life, behavior, profession and when they see you making it, they think you got it easy. Not David. His First Anointing Came When Only God Could See His Potential. But as we saw last week, that First Anointing / Favor brings affliction. But not everyone will experience divine favor - only God’s children. So as a child of the Most High God, you are spiritually and legally in line for an outpouring of divine favor and promotion. These Had Divine Favor:
1. Abraham: Divine favor rested on the life of Abraham, yet none of his family experienced it. His father, Terah, and all his family that stayed in Haran did not know God’s favor (Genesis 11). When he went down to Egypt, he had favor with the Pharaoh (Genesis 12). When he fought against the forces that captured his nephew Lot (Genesis 14), Abraham was given divine favor and victory. But none of his siblings or relatives had it.
2. Isaac: Divine favor rested on Isaac, but Isaac’s half-brother Ishmael did not know the same favor. Isaac was blessed beyond measure during one of the worst famines of his day. In Genesis 26:12, he sowed seed during drought and received a hundredfold – even though those around him remained in drought! That is real favor. And everywhere Isaac turned he prospered, so much that Abimelech, king of the Philistines, said to Isaac: Genesis 26:16: “Go from us; for thou art much mightier than we”.
3. Jacob: God favored Jacob instead of his brother Esau: Malachi 1:2-3 “Yet I loved Jacob, and I hated Esau”. Why would God set his heart on one brother and not another? Favor. Favor rested upon Jacob throughout his life. He escaped the wrath of his own brother and the trickery and mistreatment of his uncle Laban. Jacob left Isaac’s house empty and came back one of the richest men of his day. Favor cannot be explained because God see what we do not see.
4. Joseph: Favor also rested on Joseph in such a supernatural way that he was promoted in Egypt when Pharaoh had never seen him before. He was unknown to the ruler of the most powerful nation in the region, yet was given such favor that Pharaoh handed him control over the land! All protocols, rules, regulations, were broken to make him prime minister. You shall in Jesus’ Name.
5. Moses: Favor rested on Moses to such an extent that he was favored by Pharaoh’s daughter, who prepared the infant as he grew up for his divine mission.
6. Israel: Favor rested on Israel when they left Egypt to such a degree that they literally took all the riches of Egypt (Exodus 12:36). They “spoiled,” or took all the wealth, not just part of it.
7. Mordecai: God moved Mordecai (Esther 6) from gateman to second in command. God used his enemy Haman as a stepping-stone for his promotion. God will use all your enemies to lift you up.