Summary: This is a primer for overcoming addiction and life-controlling temptations, developed to help a man struggling with a Meth addiction.
7 STEPS TO DEFEAT TEMPTATION
Rom. 6:14 NASB
1. Christine Quinn was at work and boarded an elevator. It malfunctioned, leaving her and several others stranded. Seeing a sign that listed 2 emergency numbers, she dialed the first and explained their situation.
2. After what seemed like a very long silence, the voice on the other end said, “I don’t know what you expect me to do for you; I’m a psychologist.”
3. “A psychologist?” she said. “Your phone is listed here as an emergency number. Can’t you help us?”
4. “Well,” he finally responded with a measured tone. “How do you feel about being stuck in an elevator?”
B. MISSIONARY ACCOUNT
1. A missionary led a caravan of cars through the interior of Africa. They were bush roads through dense jungles.
2. Heavy rains had drenched the jungles making the road one continuous mud pit, and impassable.
3. The missionary party took refuge in some empty buildings on the side of the road. The next morning they woke up to soldiers pointing guns at them.
4. The buildings belonged to the government. Miraculously, they were not arrested nor was their equipment confiscated.
5. They were forced to slog on down the road. A few miles later they were held up at gunpoint and their equipment was stolen. They traveled on and – praise God – were able to buy back their equipment at the next town!
6. They finally arrived at the town of their destination. The town was Muslim dominated. The town council voted to NOT let them show their Jesus film. They fasted and prayed.
7. Miraculously, the top Muslim leader had a supernatural dream and let them show the film.
8. 200-300 came to see the film. Every last one of them gave their hearts to Jesus as Savior & Lord!
1. Was this accidental? No! It was spiritual warfare! Spiritual warfare not only is a battle fought on the mission field, it’s a battle fought in the life of every Christian.
2. This morning we’re looking at how temptation works and the 7 steps you can use to defeat temptation.
I. HOW TEMPTATION WORKS
A. WHEN DOES TEMPTATION USUALLY COME?
1. IN YOUR WEAKEST MOMENT
2. WHEN UNDER PRESSURE
3. WHEN PHYSICALLY SICK
4. BAD CIRCUMSTANCES
B. WAYS THE ENEMY WORKS
1. “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full” Jn. 10:10.
2. Tempts (Gen. 3:4, Eve); Slanders Us (Job 1:9); Inflicts Disease (Job 2:7); Opposes any Righteous act (Zech. 3:1); Steals away God’s Word (Mt. 13:19); Inspires Evil People (Mt. 13:38, sows tares); Lies (John 8:44); Ruins Lives (Lk. 13:16, demonized boy); Brings people into bondage (1 Pet. 5:8).
C. SURRENDER IS THE KEY
1. God wants the area of your weakness to become the area of your strength. You are the master of your own destiny.
2. The key to victory is surrendering all, or the death of all that you were and allowing Christ to live in you. If you’ve surrendered all, then there’s nothing left of you for the devil to get a hold of.