Summary: Knowing the Basics of God
THE ABC’S OF GOD
“1 Therefore let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death, and of faith in God,
INTRO: Basics for school are reading, writing and arithmetic’s. Once you learn the fundamentals, all it will take is discipline to continue studying and learning the concepts of new material that you will have before you.
That is the way with God. We have certain basics that will never change, especially the ABC’s of God. What are they and how can we learn them?
I. REPENTANCE FROM ACTS THAT LEAD TO DEATH
1. The consequences of sin
1) Rom 3:23 “23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
2. What is SIN?
1) Knowing what is good and not doing it
2) Transgression – breaking the law
3) Impurity - godliness
4) Going against God
3. Why do we sin?
1) Our human nature
2) Our desires and passions deceive us
3) We believe that it won’t harm anybody
4) We want to do what others do
4. We need to repent
1) Not feel remorse
2) Turn away from sin – Convert
(1) 2 Cor 5:17 “17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!
II. FAITH IN GOD
1. It is impossible to come to God without it
1) Heb 11:6 “6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.”
2. ALL OF US HAVE FAITH
1) ROM 12:5 “3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.
3. INCREASE OUR FAITH
1) LUKE 17:5 “5 The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith!”
4. WE HAVE TO BELIEVE WHAT WE SPEAK
1) 2 COR 4:13 “13 It is written: “I believed; therefore I have spoken.” With that same spirit of faith we also believe and therefore speak,”