Summary: This is the second in a series of 8 messages centered around the importance of changing the climate in which we live, work or play.
Changing the climate
Last week I talked about the importance of understanding / writing down what you see as important, things that are important enough to live your life by – ie what you value. And then to define what SUCCESS is.
Today I want to briefly look at the ABUNDANCE OF GOD.
Going back to the issue of VALUES and SUCCESS. Without an understanding of these two issues, I do not believe that you will be able to fully live, to the greatest potential, the life that God wants for you.
Having an understanding of what you value and an understanding of what success is (for you) will give you focus for your life. For example
· If you see success as owning your own home, your efforts and energies will be concentrated in that direction.
· If you see success as retiring by 40, your efforts will be concentrated in that direction.
And the sad thing is that without a clear understanding of what God wants for your life, instead of being used by Him for His glory, you may even be in danger of attempting to just use Him for your own plans.
I’ve been re-reading the book by John Eldredge – Waking the Dead – and have once again been really challenged by the words he wrote.
And for too long I think that Christians have lived life knowing that it was going to be a struggle against the attacks of the enemy. That we had to stand strong and firm and take captive every thought to the obedience of Christ, knowing that if we didn’t, the enemy would pounce and destroy us.
And I know that there is a part of us that must do that, but if our focus is solely on the attacks of the enemy, we will lose out on what God has for us.
The first time I read that book, I came to realise that that was wrong thinking. I came to realise that God is a big God and that our small and limited view of Him can restrict Him from fully working in our lives.
I can look back and see the many miraculous things that He did for me, and through me.
· I can remember the time when He so clearly spoke that I looked round to see where the words came from ……… and I got saved 7 days later.
· I can remember reading in His Word how the disciples were transformed in an upper room, somewhere in Jerusalem, from being fearful of what people would think of them, into dynamic and powerful witnesses of the risen Lord ……… and I too got filled with the Holy Spirit.
· I can remember responding to the prompting of the Lord to pray for a young girl to be healed, and so witnessed a healing occur as her leg grew.
· I can remember when God told me of the woman I was to marry, and how He brought that to happen.
· I can remember other times of guidance and provision and answered prayer, and sensing His love and mercy.
I’m sure that we can all recall some special times with God when He has clearly spoken to us or worked through us. But isn’t it also true that somewhere along the line, despite our memories, our lives can become one of going through the motions instead of one that was able to make waves!
We need to stop limiting God!
God is far greater than we can imagine or comprehend. And I believe that it s time for His people to rise up and once again take a stance. [The best form of defence is attack!]
For us to have an impact on this community/nation – we have to allow God to impact us in here. We need to stop limiting God!
Can you dream with me today?
· Can you dream with me and see the church of God being asked for it’s counsel when the government makes policy!
· Can you dream with me and see all the churches in Katikati full every Sunday!
· Can you dream with me and see everyone in this town accept Jesus as Lord!
· Can you dream with me and see miraculous signs and wonders happening regularly!
· Can you dream with me and see captives being set free, the blind having their eyes opened, the deaf once more hearing!
Because I have a dream that this WILL happen!
Do you have a dream today that is inspired by God? Do you have ANY dream today? Because let me tell you clearly, it has got to be a big dream!
Look at this scripture:
PSALM 66:1-5 (NKJV) 1Make a joyful shout to God, all the earth! 2Sing out the honour of His Name; make His praise glorious. 3Say to God, "How awesome are Your works! Through the greatness of Your power Your enemies shall submit themselves to You. 4All the earth shall worship You and sing praises to You; they shall sing praises to Your Name." 5Come and see the works of God; He is awesome in His doing toward the sons of men.