Summary: Happiness is not in the amount of things you have but rather it is a condition of ones heart and soul. How full is your life?
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers. This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them.
Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
1. God has made many promises to us in His word
• In the scripture we just read Jesus promised Abundant life
• It is amazing to me how the world always tries to portray Christianity in a negative life style…a mean grumpy narrow-minded bigot…
• They want everyone to believe that if you become a Christian you will lose so much
• You will have to live a life full of don'ts...A boring life full of drudgery
• You won't have any fun any more.
2. That's partly because the world system thinks happiness is in "stuff"
• But happiness is not in the amount of possessions you have…..
• Happiness is a condition of the heart and soul.
• An "ABUNDANT LIFE" is not necessarily a life with lots of stuff….
• It’s a life full of abundant peace and joy!
• The world is always making this mistake!
# I am told that in Cuba teachers often use this tactic on students to turn them
away from God
• Teachers will ask their students if God could live up to His promises or not.
• Of course, the students said yes.
• The teachers then illustrate how unable God is to do so
• The teacher asks the students to pray for candy.
• After ten minutes, they ask their students…did you get your candy…..NO
• Well then ask the government for candy …..With expectant hearts, the students do so,
• Teachers go around the room filling the student’s hands with candy
Listen carefully God's promise of "abundant life" means much more than the stuff of this world!
3. The Bible teaches us that God has made available through Jesus Christ an abundant life that is far more glorious than anything this world can offer,
• God's abundant life is greater than all the stuff of this world.
• And best of all ……it is available to all those who would come and ask!
Listen to what Jesus said in John 10:1
• Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
• You can not take shortcuts to receive your abundant life
• Vs 8 says… All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.
• There is only one way to a new abundant life in Jesus Christ
• Every other way is classified as a thief and a robber
# there is a way that seemeth right….but the end thereof is death (eternal separation
5. We live in a world that loves "shortcuts" to everything...anything that makes
things easier or free!
a. People want abundance but without responsibilities!
b. Sometimes this idea even filters down into our concepts of God's blessings in our
Some years ago we had a man who wanted to get $1000. (he gave me the pastor a check for 100 and asked me not to cash it for a week because if he gave 100 God would multiply it 10 fold. When God gave him his $1000 he would make the $100 check “good”. (he heard this from a TV evangelist). I explained that if he gave me the check I would deposit it and recommended he not put it in the offering…Well he did and I did….He called me when his check bounced asking why I stopped his blessing….Sadly he was serious.