Summary: Expository Sermon dealing with Sexual Abuse and victims of Rape, Molestation and Incest
“The Perversion of Love”
• This morning I want to preach a sermon to shed a different light on why Jesus came to die on a Cross for sin!
II Sam 13:6-
So Amnon lay down, and pretended to be ill; and when the king came to see him, Amnon said to the king, “Pray let my sister Tamar come and make a couple of cakes in my sight, that I may eat from her hand.” 7 Then David sent home to Tamar, saying, “Go to your brother Amnon’s house, and prepare food for him.” 8 So Tamar went to her brother Amnon’s house, where he was lying down. And she took dough, and kneaded it, and made cakes in his sight, and baked the cakes. 9 And she took the pan and emptied it out before him, but he refused to eat. And Amnon said, “Send out every one from me.” So every one went out from him. 10 Then Amnon said to Tamar, “Bring the food into the chamber, that I may eat from your hand.” And Tamar took the cakes she had made, and brought them into the chamber to Amnon her brother. 11 But when she brought them near him to eat, he took hold of her, and said to her, “Come, lie with me, my sister.” 12 She answered him, “No, my brother, do not force me; for such a thing is not done in Israel; do not do this wanton folly.
• I would rather people hear the truth from the pulpit than to buy into a lie from the world! X 2
• As we are in the midst of the season of Lent; I was asked why would I deal with such a story. Because Lent is all about making preparation in receiving.
• But Church it is imperative that we not only make preparation to receive Christ as the Church, but we seek to prepare ourselves to receive the brokenness of people whose idea of love is so perverted.
• It is really important to catch this thought this morning.
• It is so difficult for anyone who has been the subjected to the abuse at the hand or hands of a man to be able to conceive the idea that Jesus being a man would be anything different.
• JB Phillips wrote a book entitled “Your God is to Small” and in the book he says somethething that is so prolific. He said “The way that you view your earthly father is the same as you will view your Heavenly Father.”
• If your father was distant,then your Heavenly Father is distant
If your father was condemning, then God will be condemning
If your father was angry, then God is always angry
If your father was verbally, physically or sexually abusive
The God’s way of relating to you will follow suit!
• And you will react the same way towards your Heavenly Father because it is an involatary response
• But this morning, you can be healed from the wounds of being abused because Jesus went to the Cross of Calvary to die for the sins of man both the sins we commit and the sins committed against us.
• We as the church need to be prepared in how we receive people in a broken world! I believe that God wants to “pull the veil back” and allow us to see the brokenness and perversion of what the world identifies as love that exists in the lives of people. And we as the church need to learn how speak to them and make connection that reveals the real love of Christ that was demonstrated on the Cross of Calvary.