Summary: The worst robbery is spiritual robbery. Some of the best believers have been robbed of their blessings, happiness, and miracles because of the robbers of Fear, Discouragement, Doubt, Sorrow, and Carelessness. Jesus came to restore us from these losses. Le
THE ANCIENT ROBBERS
[The idea for this message and some of the text of section 3 were derived from Daniel Olukoya’s message of the same name.]
A. HUMOR: BURGLAR WORRY
1. Someone tells about a woman who for many years couldn’t sleep at night because she worried that her home would be burglarized.
2. One night her husband heard a noise in the house, so he went downstairs to investigate. When he got there, he found a burglar.
3. The husband said to the burglar, "Come upstairs and meet my wife. She has been waiting 10 years to meet you."
4. A real burglar can steal from you once; but things like ‘worry’ can steal from you night after night. Let’s look at what the Bible says about this.
"The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.” John 10:10.
1. The pyramids were not only built to display the power of the pharaohs, but were intended to be fortifications against grave robbers. Every precaution possible was made to keep the thieves out.
a. Blocks were used that were too heavy to move.
b. The burial vaults were placed at the center of the massive structures.
c. Entrance tunnels (100’s of feet long) were blocked up with massive blocks and sand after the Pharaoh was entombed. The entrance on the outside was disguised.
d. Other false entrances were made to deceive the robbers. Plans were destroyed and slaves who knew the secrets to enter were often killed.
2. Despite all these precautions, the robbers still got in and looted the Great Pyramids! The same happened in the Valley of the Kings. The only tomb of a Pharaoh completely intact was that of Tutankhamen, whose tomb was built beneath another tomb!
3. When physical things are stolen, they’re easy to replace; but not so when spiritual things are stolen. That’s why a physical thief is better than a spiritual one.
4. I’m going to touch on 5 ancient robbers tonight that have stolen from the best of believers, taking their miracles and blessings.
I. THE ROBBER OF FEAR
A. THE EFFECTS OF FEAR
1. FEAR CAN MAKE YOU HELPLESS. “So it was, when all the kings…on the west side of the Jordan…heard that the LORD had dried up the waters of the Jordan from before the children of Israel until we had crossed over, that their heart melted; and there was no spirit in them any longer because of the children of Israel. Josh. 5:1.
2. IT CAN CRIPPLE YOUR FAITH. Matt. 14:30. “But when he [Peter] saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, “Lord, save me!”
3. CAN PUT YOU OUT OF THE BATTLE. The Lord told Gideon, “Now therefore, proclaim in the hearing of the people, saying, ‘Whoever is fearful and afraid, let him turn and depart at once from Mount Gilead.’” And 22,000 of the people left, and 10,000 remained” Judges 7:3. See Deut. 20:8.
4. CAN ROB YOU OF YOUR INHERITANCE. They gave Moses this account: "We went into the land to which you sent us, and it does flow with milk and honey! Here is its fruit. 28 But the people who live there are powerful, and the cities are fortified and very large. We even saw descendants of Anak there” Numbers 13:27-28.