Summary: Jesus was born to bring Glory to God and on earth peace to men on whom His favor rests.
THE ANGELS SONG
LUKE 2: 1-10
DECEMBER 22, 2002
INTRODUCTION: It’s all about singing! It’s all about the music! I don’t know of anytime within the year that calls us to sing like Christmas. Someone that found Jesus this year as her personal Savior sent me an e-mail I had seen before but just seemed perfect for now. It is the story of the 12 Days Of Christmas. Does this song drive you crazy? Whaz UP with a Partridge in a pear tree, turtle doves, French hens, calling birds, golden rings, geese a-laying, swans a-swimming, maids a-milking, ladies dancing, Lords a-leaping, pipers piping, and drummers drumming? Mr. Elson Neely doing the geese a-laying has always been a favorite holiday memory, but who can keep up with it all? Children, that’s who! According to this e-mail, which we have no reason to doubt, this song was a catechism song for young Catholics in a time of persecution. This song helped them to remember their faith. The Partridge in a pear tree was Jesus. The Two turtledoves were the old and new testaments. Three French hens stood for faith, hope, and love. Four calling birds were the four Gospels. Five Golden rings were the first five books of the Old Testament called the Torah. Six geese a-laying were the six days of creation. Seven Swans a swimming represented the seven fold gifts of the Holy Spirit: Prophesy, serving, teaching, exhortation, Contribution, leadership, and Mercy. Eight Maids a milking were the eight Beatitudes. Nine ladies dancing were the nine fruits of the Spirit: Love, joy peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, Gentleness, and self-control. Ten lords a leaping were the Ten Commandments. Eleven Pipers piping stood for the eleven faithful disciples. And the Twelve drummers drumming symbolized the twelve points of the Apostles Creed. WOW, what a song!! All our faith in one strange song we can’t seem to remember.
TRANSITION THOUGHT: Our Gospel text for this day speaks to us of others who were singing a Gospel song. This was no ordinary church choir, either. These singers were literally out of this world. They sang a song that lit the night sky! It was a song of Peace on Earth and Good will toward Men! This song was also a song of transition. God was doing something new and HE wanted everyone to know, even no account shepherds! You see when God is at work it causes singing. And singing tells the story, a story of everything changing!
THESIS SENTENCE: Jesus was born to bring Glory to God and on earth peace to men on whom His favor rests.
SO what changes when Angels sing??
I. WHEN THE ANGELS SING FEAR TURNS TO JOY (VV. 1-12)
A. Fear comes from a disruption of the routine
1. Our text begins with the Birth narrative, the story of how Jesus was born. This wasn’t just any ordinary story of a couple falling in love, getting married, and having a baby.
2. This was a story of total disruption from the routine of life.
3. Nothing about this birth is routine!
4. And shouldn’t it just be enough that this Mother and Father have been visited by an Angel, don’t shepherds need a break, they get all the dirty work.
5. “An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified.”
6. This is not your normal routine night with the sheep!!
7. I don’t know about you, but even after seeing the movie “Michael” with John Travolta, I think if I saw the real thing, I would be “SORE AFRAID!”
8. When God speaks, even through a messenger, it is terrifying.
B. Joy comes from the promise of good news (Vs. 10)
1. God’s response to our fears is always, “Do not be afraid!”
2. Yes, coming in contact with the living God, yes and through an angel, should bring a healthy dose of fear…BUT
3. Our God’s desire is not fight or flight the natural reaction to fear, but RECEPTIVITY!!
4. Hear the GOOD NEWS: “I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.”
5. Verses 10 and 11 are the greatest news a sin sick world could ever hear. A Savior has been BORN!! ONE who will save his people from their sin (Matthew 1:21).
6. This is the whole Gospel. Jesus came into the world to save people from their sin!! This is cause for singing!!
ILLUSTRATION: #442 ANGELS FROM THE REALMS OF GLORY
You see, it causes us to sing and fear turns to Joy!!
II. WHEN THE ANGELS SING SILENCE TURNS TO SINGING (VV.13-14)
A. SILENCE IS GOD NOT SPEAKING