Summary: Which is better Preparing or Participation?
The Apollos Question
Preparation Or Participation
Which is better Preparing or Participation?
- With water Balloons it is Preparing and not Participating
- With life it‘s defiantly participation not preparing
- Ex. - Education preparation is a drag
- But participation in what you have learned
- Ex. - First Job - Silverwoods Dairy - In the wind tunnel freezing Ice Ceam
- Sampling from machine
- Ex. - Wedding - Going to one or being in one
- Born At Alexandria
- Alx. in Egypt
- 2nd city in the Gk. world
- Seat of learning ---- Library of 1000’s
- Place where Heb. OT translated into Gk.
- Apollos comes form the Gk., god Apollo
- Son of the Father of god’s --- (Zeus)
- Manly Beauty -- Music & Song
- Helper & Averter of evil
- Protector of flocs & herds
- Gk. mind at it’s best
- Named after an Idol > He a Jew
Acts 18:25-26 (KJV)
This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught *diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John.
26 And he began to speak *boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto [them], and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.
Fervent -------> BUT-----> Knowing only the Baptism of Jn.
Diligent -------> (Hold this thought)
We examine our own Christianity
Acts 18:24-25 (KJV)
And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and •mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus.
25 This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John.
* eloquent - Learned
1) learned, a man of letters, skilled in literature and the arts,
esp. versed in history and the antiquities
2) skilled in speech
3) rational, wise
- Our foundation - Evangelical
• mighty in the scriptures - know our Bible
- Win at Bible Trivia
* instructed in the way of the Lord - Baptized
- Lord’s Supper - Church Attainder
* fervent in the spirit - Sincere
- Faithful in religious duties
* spake and taught diligently - S.S. Teacher
- Youth Leader or - Men/Women Leader
- Elder Deacon
- Pastor of the church
- member in good standing
BUT v. 25
knowing only the baptism of John
- His O.T.
Isaiah 40:1-4 (KJV)
Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God.
2 Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the LORD’S hand double for all her sins.
3 The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
4 Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain:
Mark 1:2-4 (KJV)
2 As it is written in the prophets, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.
3 The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.