Summary: This message covers four reasons why the Ascension of Jesus into heaven was necessary.
¥ This past week the liturgical world celebrated the ascension of Jesus into heaven.
¥ Paint the Picture…
¥ Context: The ascension is the last, individual, earthly event of the Ministry of Jesus. It is the completion of the resurrection. He was raised, not only to renewed physical life, but to resume His Heavenly life as well.
¥ This event, recorded twice by Luke, occurred 40 days after the resurrection and ten days before the Day of Pentecost. It happened on the Mount of Olives, just a short distance east of Jerusalem
¥ If we believe in the resurrection of Jesus, this belief leads naturally to belief in the ascension.
¥ Like many events in Jesus’ life, this one is full of mystery and wonder. Yet, some lessons are very clear. Some blessings come to us that could come no other way.
¥ Let us consider what the ascension of Jesus to Heaven means to us:
I. The Great Commission - Matt. 28:16-20
A. Some doubted but they worked through it…
1. The disciples world was turned upside down when Jesus died.
2. Imagine the mixture of emotions upon the announcement of His Resurrection. (Joy, unbelief, questions etc.)
B. He said he would be with us always, “even to the end of the world” (V.20).
1. There’s a song we used to sing called, “He’s never failed me yet…”
2. Another song, “Jesus Never Fails”.
Psalms 37:28 For the LORD loveth judgment, and forsaketh not his saints; they are preserved for ever: but the seed of the wicked shall be cut off.
II. The Power to Perform - John. 16:7
A. His promise was fulfilled ten days later. Acts 2:33
1. The Church received the power to Preach Christ, Work Miracles, Demonstrate Jesus and Declare the Word of the Lord.
2. In Acts 2:38, Holy Spirit is the gift, not the giver… JESUS IS THE GIVER!
B. The work of Holy Spirit.
1. Exalts Jesus Christ. John 16:14
2. Helps us Pray. Rom. 8:26, 27
3. Strengthens Us. Eph. 3:16
4. Seals us. Eph. 1:13, 14
1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.
2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.
4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
III. The Exaltation of Jesus as our Intercessor - Philippians 2:8-11
A. Jesus not only intercedes for us but for the whole world! I Jn. 2:1, 2
1. He’s praying for the saint and the sinner alike. (The agnostic, the atheist, the broken and torn… the deceived and misguided - HE LOVES US ALL!)
B. JESUS IS YOUR “PRAYER PARTNER” IN HEAVEN!
1. Jesus carries our defense before the Father…
Romans 8:33-34 - AMP
33 Who shall bring any charge against God's elect [when it is] God Who justifies [that is, Who puts us in right relation to Himself? Who shall come forward and accuse or impeach those whom God has chosen? Will God, Who acquits us?]