Summary: Jesus washes the disciples feet - (PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
(A). What Jesus knew (vs 1-3)
• Jesus knew about Gods timing (vs 1)
• Jesus knew the truth about Judas (vs 2)
• Jesus knew he had been given Him all things (vs 3)
(B). What Jesus did (vs 4-5).
• Humility acts unannounced (vs 4-5).
• Humility acts without embarrassment (vs 6-8).
• Humility does not play favourites (vs 5&12).
• A man was wondering what to buy his wife for her birthday;
• When he over heard her say to a friend: "I'd like to be eight again",
• That was all the inspiration he needed:
• On the morning of her Birthday,
• He arose early, made her a nice big bowl of Coco-pops,
• He then took her to Alton Towers theme park. What a day!
• He put her on every ride in the park; the Nemesis and the Oblivion;
• As well as anything else that was fast, high and scary!
• Five hours later they staggered out of the theme park.
• Her head was reeling and her stomach felt upside down.
• He then took her to a McDonald's where he ordered her a Happy Meal;
• With extra fries and a chocolate shake.
• Then it was off to a movie, popcorn, a coke, and her favourite sweets,
• What a fabulous adventure!
• Finally they wobbled home and both of them collapsed into bed exhausted.
• The husband leaned over his wife with a big smile and lovingly asked;
• 'Well Dear, what was it like being six again?'
• Her eyes slowly opened and her expression suddenly changed.
• "I meant my dress size, you idiot!"
• Our intentions might be good, but we can sure get things incredibly wrong!
• There were two men in the Bible, two followers, disciples of Jesus;
• Who had good intentions, but they sure got things incredibly wrong!
• Their names were James & John; and their nicknames were ‘Sons of Thunder’.
• (Mark chapter 3 verse 17).
• Straight away you have to ask yourself the question;
• How in the world do you end up with a nickname like that!
• James and John were rough-cut guys—amazing, colourful characters.
• They would not back away from a confrontation.
• In fact, they might even have looked forward to one.
• They could be very aggressive. And they also could be very insensitive
• When Jesus spoke of His own impending death,
• When he spoke about how he would be betrayed;
• Mocked, spit upon, scourged, and ultimately killed,
• All they can think about is themselves and James and John blurted out:
• (Mark chapter 10 verse 35-37).
• “Teacher, we want you to do for us whatever we ask.”
• Jesus replied: “What do you want me to do for you?”
• And they replied, “Let one of us sit at your right & the other at your left in your glory.”
• It is like me telling you I am going to die in the next few days;
• And you respond by saying: “In that case can I have your car!”