Summary: We think of how important serving others and "convertng" others is, but we must be balanced. The process does not end in baptism it continues after. This is why Jesus told us to make "disciples" not merely "converts."
1. Communication (strange sport sayings—selected)
• “You guys line up alphabetically by height.” said by Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach.
• When Shaquille O’Neal was asked whether he had visited the Parthenon during his visit to Greece, he replied, “I can’t really remember the names of the clubs that we went to.”
• “I’m going to graduate on time, no matter how long it takes,” was said by a Senior basketball player at the University of Pittsburgh.
• “Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein.” This was said by ESPN football commentator and former player Joe Theismann.
• And finally, another statement by Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach, “You guys pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle.”
2. We may not always SAY what we mean but we can SHOW what we mean
3. There is an excitement in this congregation that has come from the recent visit by Patrick Mead that is resulting in a deep desire to serve the people of our community and demonstrate the love of God
a. The first commandment is to love God – often associated with worship
b. The second is to love our neighbors – often associated with service
c. Both are actually related
4. [Chris Leck’s presentation
I. Connecting with Yeshua (Jesus) produces Outflow
A. Things we know by connecting to Yeshua (Jesus)
8. Jesus Came To Seek and Save The Lost -Luke 19:10
9. Jesus Chose To Die To Save The Lost -1 Timothy 2:5
B. Knowing these things compels us to participate in Ministry to others
1. As Paul -- 14 For the love of Christ controls us, because we are convinced that one has died for all; therefore all have died. 15 And he died for all, that those who live might live no longer for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised. 2 Corinthians 5.14-15
2. Examples of the Sea of Galilee vs. Dead Sea
II. Approaches to Outreach:
• Proclamation Approach – Paul/Peter
• Invitational Approach – Invite others to classes/Groups/Services – Andrew invited Peter; Samaritan woman invited Sychar—John 4
• Service Approach – Dorcas Now there was at Joppa a disciple named Tabitha, which means Dorcas. She was full of good works and acts of charity. Acts 9.36
• Relational Approach – Bringing friends and family to Yeshua (Jesus) – Matthew’s party: 29 And Levi made him a great feast in his house; and there was a large company of tax collectors and others sitting at table with them. 30 And the Pharisees and their scribes murmured against his disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?” 31 And Jesus answered them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick; 32 I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.” Luke 5.29-32