Summary: Here is an example of how multiple gifts, abilities and perspectives can synergistically work together for a greater total effect than the sum of several individual’s efforts. Without elders, the church can easily be led astray by one person’s agenda, per
Why Elders Are Important - Acts 15:1-29
Illustration:Peter Drucker offers insightful guidance to the church when he calls leadership a peak performance by one who is "the trumpet that sounds a clear sound of the organizations’ goals." His five requirements for this task are amazingly reliable and useful for those who dare to lead churches:
(1) a leader works;
(2) a leader sees his assignment as responsibility rather than rank or privilege;
(3) a leader wants strong, capable, self-assured, independent associates;
(4) a leader creates human energies and vision;
(5) a leader develops followers’ trust by his own consistency and integrity.
H.B. London, Jr. and Neil B. Wiseman, Pastors at Risk, Victor Books, 1993, pp. 227-228.
Let us look at some of the qualities of godly elders that will be assured of God’s blessings and fruit:
These elders allowed the church to be administered by a plurality of godly leaders who met the Godly criteria stated in I Tim. 3:1-6. Here is an example of how multiple gifts, abilities and perspectives can synergistically work together for a greater total effect than the sum of several individual’s efforts. Without elders, the church can easily be led astray by one personâs agenda, personality or gift emphasis. Elders help give direction to the affairs of the church especially when there are conflicting views among the members.
In Acts 15 the elders were able to establish principles of spiritual liberty and correct the errors of legalism in the church. The elders set a precedent for the selecting of their missionaries in a way that demonstrated prudence, foresight and faith. The elders confirmed the fact that Paul and Barnabas were not delivering their own private opinions, but the deliberate views of the church. The elders gave the apostles a sense of legitimacy and purity in being commissioned by a respectable community of believers. The elders authorized Paul and Barnabas’s ministry as an extension of their sending body.
Ask the Lord to help your elders effectively live up to the precedents set by the early church elders.
2. These elders demonstrated a collective wisdom and brotherly love as an example for many other churches to emulate. The godly elders in the Jerusalem council were able to correct the errors of the Judaizers in Antioch before bad restrictionary trends began. Thankfully, these elders were able to purge the church of any disturbing and factious intrigues that might have threatened the well being of the church. As a result of the good work of these elders a new bond of sympathy and affection developed between Jew and Gentiles as well as between Jerusalem and the world.
Ask the Lord to help your elders have multiple positive effects in solving problems, establishing positive trends and spreading the gospel.
3. These elders inspired many people to Spirit filled actions. They said, "It seemed good to the Holy Ghost and to us." Without Spirit led actions, these words might have been abused and even used with a sincere feeling of devotion, yet might have led to poor decisions. Thankfully, these elders were walking in step with the Holy Spirit and allowed themselves to be channels of the Spirit’s wisdom, light and foresight. With a great measure of piety, love and carefulness, the elders made decisions that clearly reflect 100% of Godâs will. By the farewell statement, these elders evidenced a desire for the brotherâs happiness, well-being and the steadfastness in their relationship with Christ.