Summary: The Bible always points us to 1) Morality, 2) Magnanimity, 3) Mindfulness, 4) Modesty, 5) Management, and 6) Minding.
The Benefits of Living for God.
• There is a song from my generation.
• I believe one of our members, Ron Carter, personally knows the writer of this song.
• It says, "Sign, sign, everywhere a sign, Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind. Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?"
• Signs are important to give us directions, warn us of danger, and even invite us to some pleasures.
• God has put signs in the Bible to direct us to the best of life. We can say that these signs direct us to the Benefits of Living For God.
Illustration: A museum once had an ancient wooden throne from the German dynasty of Hohenstaufen, dating back to 1212 AD. The museum had only one place to display the peace of furniture, but unfortunately, it wasn't a place out of reach of patron. Despite signs of warning saying "Do Not Touch", people could not resist the temptation to rub their hand over the old wood in awe of its age.
The problem was, the hand oils were breaking down the crude finish and ruining the priceless throne. Finally, a low paid custodian of the museum had a suggestion. Instead of the sign saying, "Do Not Touch", it was changed to "Caution, please wash hand thoroughly after touching."
No one ever touched the throne again. (Paul Seely)
• Let's look at Proverbs 3:1-12 to see the signs God has given us to direct us to the great life to which He has called us.
• The Bible always points us to morality.
Pro 3:1-2 “My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments, 2 for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you.”
• "Do not forget" Always remember. Always look to the moral.
• The implications is that this instructive father had taught his children the commandments.
• The picture here is to follow the right with all your heart and all you head.
• The way this must be done is for the head to know what the scriptures say.
• That is the only way to please God always.
• Psa 119:11 “I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.”
• The Israelites were instructed to write God's word all around them.
• Deu 11:18-20 - "You shall therefore lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul, and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 19 You shall teach them to your children, talking of them when you are sitting in your house, and when you are walking by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. 20 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates…”
• I want to make something clear, especially for our young ones tonight.
• Most scholars believe there somewhere around 613 Old Testament commandments.
• Why do we not major on the Old Testament commandments?
• Because we are under a new covenant, purchased by Jesus Christ and His death, burial and resurrection.