Summary: Our universe shows evidence of intelligent design. There is plenty of reasonable and scientific evidence to believe in God.
THE BIBLE AND THE BIG BANG THEORY
INTRO TO TOPIC: Discuss the popularity of The Big Bang Theory and Jurassic World.
• There are many atheists who are speaking out against the Bible and Christianity:
• Charles Darwin came up with the radical theory of evolution through natural selection in 1859. He proposed that all of life arose from a common ancestor.
• German philosopher Fredrick Nietzsche said “God is dead” in the 1800’s. He wasn’t saying that God had actually died, but hat the idea of God was now dead.
• Popular contemporary atheism books written to destroy faith in God: The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens and The End of Faith by Sam Harris.
• These skeptics say, “There is no evidence for God’s existence and faith is blind.”
• As a result, 3 out of 4 young people will abandon their faith after high school.
KEY TEXT: “But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense (answer) to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you” (1 Peter 3:15, NKJV).
• I want people to know that real faith isn’t blind – it’s based on evidence!
I. A RESPONSE TO SKEPTICS FAVOURITE INSULTS:
1. Believing in God is like believing in a fairy tale. It’s like believing in the tooth fairy or “The Flying Spaghetti Monster.”
O Response: There are no good reasons to believe in the tooth fairy or the Flying Spaghetti Monster. There are good reasons to believe in God!
2. The Bible is full of contradictions.
O Nothing comes close to the Bible in terms of its historical accuracy!
3. The miracles in the Bible couldn’t have happened.
O Because God is a creator, He can violate the laws of nature.
4. God is not loving because He allows evil, or not all-powerful because He can’t stop it.
O “The existence of evil is not evidence of God’s absence in the universe but evidence of His absence from our lives.” (Rice Broocks).
THE BIG IDEA: Our universe shows evidence of intelligent design. There is plenty of reasonable and scientific evidence to believe in God.
II. CREATION VERSUS EVOLUTION: The two different beliefs about our origins:
• Note – it’s not a divide between science and religion. It’s between the theory of evolution and the Biblical account of creation. What are these two different beliefs?
1. EVOLUTION AND THE BIG BANG THEORY:
• The Big Bang Theory is the belief that life began billions of years ago by a cosmic accident. This idea believes that a big explosion “led to the formation of the universe, according to the prevailing cosmological theory of the universe's early development.” (The Big Bang, www.wikipedia.org).
• Evolution is the belief that “all life on Earth shares a common ancestor, just as you and your cousins share a common grandmother… Evolution means that we're all distant cousins: humans and oak trees, hummingbirds and whales.” “Understanding Evolution: An Introduction to Evolution.” (http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary).