Summary: Jesus' attitude toward Scriptures
A. INTRODUCTION: JESUS ATTITUDE TOWARD SCRIPTURES
1. What is attitude? Mental posture to receive data, or emotional response to receiving truth, or focus of the will to decide.
2. Jesus grew up in a Jewish home that reverenced the Scriptures. “Think about these commands all the time, and tell them over and over to your children. Talk about them when you are at home, or walking on the road, and at bedtime, and when you get up in the morning. Tie copies of them on your hands and forehead, and write them on the doorpost of your house” (Deut. 6:7-9, BBJ).
B. WHAT APTITUDES DID JESUS HAVE TO SCRIPTURE?
1. Jesus had faith that the Old Testament came from God. “Search the Scriptures, these words testify of Me” (John 5:39, BBJ).
2. Jesus had faith in the power of the Word. “Moses and the prophets have warned them. Your brothers can read what they wrote” (Luke 16:24, BBJ).
3. Jesus had faith in all the books of the Old Testament. “Let Me tell you again what I said . . . everything that is written about Me in the law of Moses (first 5 books), in the prophets (Major) and in the Psalms (poetical, historical and Minor Prophets), had to be fulfilled” (Luke 5:44, BBJ).
4. Jesus believed the Bible is standard of final judgement. “He who receives My word and believes on Me has eternal life, and will not be judged (in final day), for his sins” (John 5:24, BBJ). “Everyone whose names were not found in the Lamb’s book of life was thrown into the lake of fire” (Rev. 20:15, BBJ).
5. Jesus taught a sinner must have faith in Scriptures to be saved. “My sheep hear My voice and I know them . . . and I give them eternal life” (John 5:27-28).
6. Jesus taught there is power and victory in the Word. “I answered, the Scriptures say . . .” (Matt. 4:4, 7. 10, BBJ). “Then the devil left Me” (Matt. 4:11, BBJ).
7. Jesus corrected wrong doctrine and wrong practice with the Word. “I answered by quoting Isaiah . . .” (Mark 7:6). “They vainly worship, teaching their doctrine as the Word of God” (Mark 7:8, BBJ). “You deny the Scripture that is handed down from generation to generation” (Mark 7:9, BBJ).
C. JESUS’ SEVEN ATTITUDES TO STUDY SCRIPTURES
1. Yield completely to Jesus to find His will in His Word. “Yield your body . . . a living sacrifice . . . your best spiritual worship . . . let Me transform your thinking . . . you will discover My will for your life” (Rom. 12:1-2, BBJ).
2. Study carefully the Word of God to find and know My truth. “Study to know everything about the faith so you can be My approved workman” (2 Tim. 2:15, BBJ).
3. Cover all the Bible to know all about the Father and all the ways you should live and serve. “All the Bible was written by inspiration of the Holy Spirit and is useful to teach the truth . . . prepare you in every area of your life” (2 Tim. 3:16-17, BBJ).
4. Listen to hear the message of Jesus and enjoy His presence. “When you remain (abide) in Me, and My words remain in you” (John 15:7, BBJ).
5. Commit to obey what you learn from Scriptures. “Now you can obey My Father’s law by following My leading” (Rom. 8:4-5, BBJ).
6. Memorize Scriptures to influence your attitude and give you victory over temptations and weaknesses. “It is written” (Matt. 4:4). I answered, the Scriptures say” (Matt. 4:4, BBJ).
7. Enjoy the blessings of joy, peace and confidence. “The man who hears the message, and bubbling over with joy, at once accepts it” (Matt. 13:20, BBJ). “Obey My commandments to remain in My love” (John 15:18, BBJ). “I have told you this so you might have peace” (John 16:33, BBJ).
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, God heard you and saved you. I personally want to welcome you to the family of God and rejoice with you.