Summary: Jesus believed in the authority of Scripture
A. JESUS BELIEVED IN THE AUTHORITY OF SCRIPTURE
1. Because Jesus is God, He has always known Scripture. “My word is forever settled in heaven” (Ps. 119:89, BBJ).
2. Jesus, along with the Father and Holy Spirit, gave the Scriptures to Old Testament writers. “No word of prophecy was written by human initiative. The words holy man written in the Bible were inspired by the Holy Spirit” (2 Peter 1:21, BBJ).
3. Jesus became flesh, He gave up the independent exercise of His attributes to depend on the Holy Spirit. “Even though I am God, . . . I emptied Myself and took on human flesh” (Phil. 2:5, BBJ). Jesus knew only what He needed to know.
4. Jesus was limited because He learned. “I grew in mental ability and physical strength and was respected by God and man” (Luke 2:52, BBJ).
5. Jesus had to learn the Hebrew alphabet and words. At His Bar Mizpah at age 12 He would have copied the Scriptures (Luke 2:41-49).
6. Jesus copied books of Moses because He was King. “To become a king, he is . . . to write for himself a copy of the law, and he is to read it every day . . . and follow all those laws and commands . . . he will reign” (Deut. 17:18-20, BBJ).
7. Because Jesus believed the Scriptures, He studied them many times a day in all places. “Love Me completely with all your heart, soul and strength. Think about these commandments all the time. Tell them over and over to your children. Talk of them when you are at home, or walking along the road, or at bed time, and when you get up. Tie copies of them on your hands and foreheads and write them on the doorpost of your house” (Deut. 6:5-9, BBJ).
8. Jesus now expects daily obedience to both Himself the living Word, and Scriptural words.
a. Jesus is the living Word, “If anyone wants to be My follower, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me” (Luke 9:23, BBJ).
b. Jesus gives the written word. “I give eternal life to all who obey Me” (Heb. 5:9, BBJ). “Separate yourself from sin and obey, My truth” (1 Peter 1:22, BBJ).
B. JESUS’ SEVEN STEPS FOR 24/7 OBEDIENCE TO SCRIPTURES
1. Begin with the Bible before you read books about the Bible.
2. Hear (listen) to Scriptures. “Faith comes by hearing” (Rom. 10:17, BBJ).
a. By electronics
b. By preaching
c. By class teaching
3. Read the Scriptures. “Discipline your time by reading the Word of God . . . then preaching and teaching” (1 Tim. 4:13, BBJ).
Believe me sir, never a night goes by, be I ever so tired but I read the Word of God before I go to bed” ~Douglas McArthur
4. Study all the Scriptures, not just your favorites. God is present and has a message. “Study to know everything about the faith . . . rightly handle the word of truth” (2 Tim. 2:15, BBJ).
5. Pray before, during and after studying Scripture. “Pray, open my eyes so I can see wonderful things in Your law” (Ps. 119:18, BBJ). “You get understanding when reading My words. Even average people get insight from it” (Ps. 119:130, BBJ).
6. Memorize Scripture to take its message everywhere you go. “Hide my words in your heart that you might not sin against Me” (Ps 119:11, BBJ).
7. Meditate on Scripture as you listen, read, learn and memorize it. “Meditate on My precepts to respect the way you should live” (Ps. 119:15, BBJ). “You will discover happiness by obeying My laws and thinking about them day and night” (Ps. 1:2, BBJ).
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, God heard you and saved you. I personally want to welcome you to the family of God and rejoice with you.
All PBC lessons are available online at trbc.org/pbc. Go to www.Hopenow.tv for the current program schedule.
Dr. Towns' email is ELTowns@liberty.edu
Dr. Towns’ web address is www.elmertowns.com