Summary: Jesus believed every word of Scripture
A. INTRODUCTION: JESUS BELIEVED EVERY WORD OF SCRIPTURE
1. Attitude. “Search the Scriptures, these words testify of Me that I am from My Father, but you will not come to Me to have eternal life. You think you have eternal life but you don’t” (John 5:39, BBJ).
2. The word “search” (ereunao) is imperative (a command). “As a hound dog tracks by scent.” “Search the Scriptures by your inner drive.”
3. The Bereans “searched the Scriptures daily” (Acts 17:11). Different word (anakajno). To look objectively at all facts before choosing the correct one.
B. HOW DID JESUS APPROACH SCRIPTURES?
1. Jesus knew and quoted the Scriptures. “The unbelieving Jews were astonished, asking, ‘How can He explain the words of Scriptures so completely? He never graduated from a religious school’” (John 7:15, ELT).
2. Jesus knew Scriptures thoroughly, even spelling and verb tense.
a. Bible inspiration includes correct letter spelling. “I didn’t come to do away with the teachings of the Old Testament, but to fulfill the prophecies about Me. Not one dot or comma can be changed” (Matt. 5:17-18, BBJ).
b. Bible inspiration includes verb tense. “Have you not read what God said to Moses, ‘I am now the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob’” (Matt. 22:32). They were dead when God spoke to Moses, but alive before God.
3. Jesus believed every word of the Scriptures. “Everything it (the Scriptures) promises will come to pass just the way it was predicted” (Matt. 5:18, BBJ).
4. Jesus believed the Old Testament was historical fact, including people and events denied by the critics. “Noah and the flood were real (Matt. 24:37-39; Luke 17:26-27). Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed by fire (Matt. 10:15, 11:23-24; Luke 10:12). Manna rained down from heaven (John 6:31, 49, 58). Jonah and the great fish were real (Matt. 12:39-42).
5. Jesus believed Old Testament books were written by men whose name they bear (a) Moses (Matt. 19:7-8, Luke 5:14, 16:29, 31, 24:27, 44). (b) Isaiah wrote both halves (Mark 7:6-13; John 12:37-41). (c) Jonah wrote Jonah (Matt. 12:39-41). (d) Daniel wrote Daniel (Matt. 24:15).
C. WHAT STUDY METHOD CAN WE LEARN FROM JESUS? JESUS’ 7 LAWS OF BIBLE STUDY.
1. Study words to understand and know the Scriptures. Let Bible words:
a. Be foundation of your belief.
b. Guide daily actions.
2. Compare words in a verses with all other Scriptures. “Search to Scriptures” (Acts 17:11) to sift wheat grains from each other.”
3. Study each day. “Search the Scriptures daily” (Acts 17:11). Write out what you learn:
Thoughts disentangle themselves over lips and finger tips.
4. Study all the Bible. “I began with Moses, and taught My way through all the prophets, and explained to them all the passages in the Scriptures about Myself” (Luke 22:27, BBJ).
5. Think what the Bible means to you, your family and friends, and to the world. “If you have ears to hear, then you will understand” (Matt. 13:9, BBJ). “Blessed are your . . . ears for they are beginning to hear and understand” (Matt. 5:17, BBJ).
6. Apply to your life what you learn. “Because you have the privilege of understanding and knowing the secrets of the kingdom, but unbelievers don’t understand spiritual truths” (Matt. 13:11, BBJ).
7. Always look for Jesus. “I began to explain Moses . . . all the passages in Scriptures about Myself” (Luke 22:27, BBJ). “The prophecies about Me” (Matt. 5:17, BBJ).
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, God heard you and saved you. I personally want to welcome you to the family of God and rejoice with you.
All PBC lessons are available online at trbc.org/pbc. Go to www.Hopenow.tv for the current program schedule.
Dr. Towns' email is ELTowns@liberty.edu
Dr. Towns’ web address is www.elmertowns.com