Summary: Giving the Bible way.
1 COR. 16:1-4 “THE BIBLICAL VIEW OF GIVING”
A) In 1 Cor. 15, Paul was talking to the Corinthians about the resurrection!
* He closed the chapter with the teaching that one day, our loved ones who have died in the Lord
will come forth victorious. * He said in v.55 “O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where …”
* He closed chapter 15 by saying, “Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye …….”
B) They had to be on cloud nine about the time he got through talking to them about the
resurrection and he closed the chapter by encouraging them to be stedfast and unmoveable!
* But he brought them back down to earth when he started chapter 16, because in the first four
verses, he talked to them about giving. * Paul began by saying in v.1 “Now concerning the …”
C) We all know Christians who can be AMEN Christians until you start talking about giving!
* A preacher could preach on the resurrection every other Sunday and no one would ever spread
rumors that all that preacher ever talks about is the resurrection.
* Yet, if a preacher preaches on tithing every six months, rumors are that all that preacher ever
talks about is money.
D) There are a lot of people who don’t want you to preach about money …….
* Because they can put on a show in church how much they love Jesus until it comes to their
billfold and pocketbooks or their checkbooks!
* They don’t like preaching on giving because they’re afraid someone might notice how little they
give to the Lord each week …….
* And then they could never stand up and say or testify as to how much they love the Lord.
E) If you love Jesus, you will tithe … If you don’t love Jesus, you won’t tithe!
* True Christians can say with their mouths, their lives, and their billfolds that they love the Lord.
* We see very few churches today who are willing to give like the people in the early church did.
* They took up offerings to send missionaries to other lands with the Gospel …….
* To help the poor, the orphans and widows of the congregation … To help struggling churches …
* To help the poor and needy in other towns as we see in our text … But not today!
F) Today, many churches are harboring money up and not using it at all, or for selfishness!
* The early church had a heart, not only to build churches, but also had a heart to help each other.
* And Paul, in these verses, shows the Corinthians how they should give!
* Let’s look today at “The Biblical View Of Giving.”
(1) GIVING SHOULD BE PURPOSEFUL – V.1!
A) I get calls and visits a lot of times from people who never come to church, but they’re
always wanting financial assistance!
* In this day it has become the Christian thing to do to help every Tom, Dick and Harry who
comes along! * Is this what the Bible teaches? * ABSOLUTELY NOT!
B) There’s no way a church could afford to keep the doors open if they gave to all the hands that
reach out … God never intended for the church to support anything and everything!
* Listen … I’m not gonna help anybody who won’t help themselves!
* I’m not gonna ask our church to waste God’s money on people that are too sorry to work and