Summary: Preached for Christmas Service at a home for the Elderly.
“THE BIRTH OF HOPE”
Christmas Program at Newark Baptist Home
THESIS: God chose an elderly man & woman, both devout & pious, to proclaim & prophesy the birth of hope for all people. Even at the end of their lives, they saw hope and life in Jesus and passed this on to others.
* We live in a world of trouble, uncertainty, worry, etc. . .
* Isn’t that true? What will come of you? Of your children, grandchildren, even great-
* If only there were hope?
* But there is, and has been all along. For Christmas is The Birth of Hope!
* Not just for the young. Perhaps you feel old and your time is already gone. Or at least
that’s how others see you. Discarded, useless, rambling? No longer have a role to
* But what about God? How does He see you? And is Christmas really mostly for
* God chose an elderly man & woman, both devout & pious, to proclaim & prophesy the
birth of hope for ALL people. Even at the end of their lives, they saw hope and life in
Jesus and passed this on to others.
II. SCRIPTURE READING: Luke 2:25-38
III. SIMEON: Tired Eyes Looking, Grateful Eyes Seeing (2:25-35)
A.) Tired Eyes Looking (vv.25-26)
1. Even unto his end, looking for the deliverance of Israel.
2. Could not see, perhaps withstand death, without hope.
What a terrible thing to die without hope!
B.) Grateful Eyes Seeing (vv.17-30)
1. To see Jesus is to see Hope: God’s Salvation
a. Even in face of death, there is joy when one has seen the source of life.
b. Throughout wait, Simeon remained a faithful servant who was at home
in God’s purpose & plan, even up to when his own time is up &
2. God’s work is for ALL people (vv. 31-32)
a. Revelation to Gentiles - opening of way previously unknown
b. Glory to Israel - realization of promises made
3. A Foreboding Choice (vv. 33-35)
a. Jesus will cause division: some will respond, others will oppose.
b. “Jesus is God’s litmus test for where a person is” - Darrell L. Bock
IV. ANNA: Thankful & Telling (vv.36-38)
A.) Her hope also looking for completion of what God started.
1. Quite old, widow of 84 years. Pious, never gave up, never stopped
worshipping or trusting God! (v. 37)
B.) Thankful. (v. 38a)
C.) Telling. (v. 38b)
V. CONCLUSION: Hope is Born & Lives For YOU
* What this means to you:
1. You have a Savior whose name is Jesus
2. Because of Him, there is eternal hope for you and all others
3. Never too old for God, never time to stop
B. Thanking or