Summary: The church today needs to take a radical new look at love. However, the kind of love that God calls us to is impossible. Jesus said, “You can do nothing.” Feeling inspired yet? (Matt. 5:38-48).
THE BLESSED LIFE #4: RADICAL, SUPERNATURAL LOVE
THE BIG IDEA: The church today needs to take a radical new look at love. However, the supernatural kind of love that God calls us to is impossible. Jesus said, “You can do nothing.” Feeling inspired yet? (Matt. 5:38-48).
#1: The Secret of Happiness: Matt. 7:24-27 – building our lives on Jesus’ teachings
#2: Viva La Vida: Matt. 5:1-16 – the beatitudes and letting our lights shine before others
#3: Blessed Relationships: Matt. 5:17- 32 – love and forgiveness, purity and faithfulness
#4: Radical, Supernatural Love: Matt. 5:38-48 – we will look at this one today:
PERSONAL TESTIMONY: What was it that attracted me to the church 18 years ago? What impacted me the most? The worship was great, the preaching was great, but it wasn’t those things. It was the loving relationships – believers who loved and accepted me as I was. “River”, long hair, earring, saved off the streets – rough around the edges!
STORY: Dating Tammy, parents = praise and worship leader & head usher. Family dinners.
STORY: One summer evening in Broken Bow, Nebraska, a weary truck driver pulled his rig into an all-night truck stop. He was tired and hungry. The waitress had just served three tough looking, leather jacketed bikers - of the Hell’s Angel’s type – who decided to give him a hard time. Not only did they verbally abuse him, one grabbed the hamburger off his plate, another took a handful of his French fries and the third picked up his coffee and began to drink it. How did this trucker respond? He quietly stood up, picked up his check, walked to the front of the room, put the check and his money on the counter, and went out the door. The waitress followed him to put the money in the till and stood watching out the door as the big truck drove away into the night. When she returned, one of the cyclists said to her, “Well, he’s not much of a man, is he?” She replied, “I don’t know about that, but he sure isn’t much of a truck driver. He just ran over three motorcycles on his way out of the parking lot.”
KEY TEXT: 10 IMPOSSIBLE THINGS JESUS WANTS US TO DO:
“You have heard that it was said, ’An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’
1. But I tell you not to resist an evil person.
2. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.
3. If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also.
4. And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two.
5. Give to him who asks you,
6. and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away.
You have heard that it was said, ’You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’
7. But I say to you, love your enemies
8. bless those who curse you
9. do good to those who hate you
10. and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you
• This is one of those parts of the Bible that people don’t like! When was the last time an enemy cursed you out that you pulled a $20 bill out of your wallet?
"that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so?"
THE ULTIMATE, IMPOSSIBLE COMMAND:
"Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.” (Matt. 5:38-48).
QUESTION: Does anyone feel like giving up and going home right now??
• It is impossible to live the life of love that Jesus calls us to!
• I’m not going to spend a lot of time expounding the truths of this passage of Scripture. We know what these verses say, but we DON’T know HOW to love this way!
• It reminds me of a graduation speech I gave at Regent Christian Academy several years ago. The title of my message was: “You can do nothing!” A real motivational speech!
TOP INSPIRATIONAL SAYINGS YOU’LL NEVER SEE ON POSTERS:
1. Eagles may soar, but weasels don’t get sucked into jet engines.
2. Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
3. If you can stay calm, while all around you is in chaos...then you probably haven’t completely understood the situation.
4. The beatings will continue until morale improves.