Summary: Jesus said, "Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." If we want to put God first in our lives, then we need to take a look at where we are putting our treasure.
THE BLESSED LIFE #6: PUT GOD FIRST
PART ONE - WITH PASTOR CHRIS JORDAN:
“Getting wisdom is the most important thing you can do!” (Prov. 4:7).
• God has given us a gift in the Bible, and that’s where we find wisdom for daily living.
• We’ve been studying the Sermon on the Mount, which gives us keys to the Blessed Life.
• Today we want to talk about PUTTING GOD FIRST. What’s your passion?
“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.” (Matt. 6:19-21,24).
1. Don’t lay up for yourselves treasures on Earth.
2. Lay up for yourselves treasures in Heaven.
3. Where you put your treasure, there your heart will go.
PART TWO - WITH PASTOR ROBERT MORRIS:
• If it’s God’s vision, you won’t lack God’s provision.
• The average church gives $1,200 - $1,400 per person annually, including spouses & children.
“Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, "Consecrate to Me all the firstborn, whatever opens the womb among the children of Israel, both of man and beast; it is Mine… you shall set apart to the Lord all that open the womb, that is, every firstborn that comes from an animal which you have; the males shall be the Lord’s. But every firstborn of a donkey you shall redeem with a lamb; and if you will not redeem it, then you shall break its neck. And all the firstborn of man among your sons you shall redeem. ” (Ex. 13:1-2,12-13).
1. The first-born must be sacrificed or redeemed.
“Now these things became our examples.” (1 Cor. 10:6).
• The tithe, like the first-born, belongs to God. When you give the first fruits to God, the rest is blessed. When you keep the first, the rest is cursed.
• Tithing is so much more than 10%. It is giving the first to God. It is putting God first in the area of finances.
The first-fruits must be offered.
“The first of the firstfruits of your land you shall bring into the house of the Lord your God.” (Ex. 23:19).
“Honor the Lord with your possessions, And with the firstfruits of all your increase; So your barns will be filled with plenty, And your vats will overflow with new wine.” (Prov. 3:9-10).
“And in the process of time it came to pass that Cain brought an offering of the fruit of the ground to the Lord. Abel also brought of the firstborn of his flock and of their fat. And the Lord respected Abel and his offering, but He did not respect Cain and his offering. And Cain was very angry, and his countenance fell.” (Gen. 4:3-5).
• Cain brought AN offering, Abel brought the FIRSTBORN.
• Cain did not bring of the first-fruits.
• God cannot accept an offering that’s not first.
3. The tithe must be first.
“And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord’s. It is holy to the Lord.” (Lev. 27:30).