Summary: We are called to let our light shine! What does that mean?
• SLIDE #1
• Last week we examined what it meant to be the salt of the world.
• Today we are going to look at part 2 of our message on the Bold Walk.
• For our walk to be bold, we must get out of the salt shaker so we can bring flavor to this world along with all the other wonderful things salt can bring to this dying world.
• Jesus in the second part of this analogy calls us the light of the world.
• As salt makes a difference in people’s food, so light makes a difference in their surroundings.
• For our walk to be a bold one, a walk that makes an eternal difference in the lives of those around us, we need to understand a few things about why Jesus calls us the light of the world!
• The positive influence of Jesus’ followers is next described as the light of the world.
• Let’s begin our examination in verse 14 of our text!
• SLIDE #2
• Matthew 5:14 ( ESV ) “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.
• SLIDE #3
I. OUR LIGHT IS MEANT TO BE SEEN. V14
• As we look at verse 14 Jesus says that a city set on a hill cannot be hidden!
• Both in the daytime and at night, a city set on a hill cannot be hidden. It is exposed for all to see. By day its houses and buildings stand out on the landscape, and at night the many lights shining out of its windows make it impossible to miss.
• Christianity is something which is meant to be seen. As someone has well said, “There can be no such thing as secret discipleship, for either the secrecy destroys the discipleship, or the discipleship destroys the secrecy.” A man’s Christianity should be perfectly visible to all men.
• Further, this Christianity should not be visible only within the Church. A Christianity whose effects stop at the church door is not much use to anyone. It should be even more visible in the ordinary activities of the world. Our Christianity should be visible in the way we treat a shop assistant across the counter, in the way we order a meal in a restaurant.
• Jesus did not say, “You are the light of the Church”; he said, “You are the light of the world,” and in a man’s life in the world his Christianity should be evident to all.
• Regarding our light let us first understand that light attracts.
• SLIDE #4
A. Light attracts.
• If you have ever been to an outdoor evening event in the mid-west, you will understand this concept. When the lights on a ball field come on, it seems like every bug in the state flocks to the light.
• A city on a hill attracts people who are looking for something.
• Christians are called to attract others to God.
• IF our lives are seen as they should be, they will be attractive to those who see us.
• When our lives reflect to Lord we serve, our lives will attract others to Christ.
• SLIDE #5
• Ephesians 5:8-9 ( ESV ) for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true),
• SLIDE #6
B. Light removes fear.
• How many of you were afraid of the dark when you were a child, how many of you still are?