Summary: There is one book that you will not find at any bookstore. Consider some observations about this very important book, the Book of Life.
The Book Of Life
1. If you ever go into a store like Barnes and Noble, one thing cannot escape your attention: There are a lot of books!
2. There are so many different types of books and writers of them.
a. People write about topics such as politics and philosophy, as well as volumes of “how-to” books and “self-help” books.
b. You can pretty much find a book about any topic or any subject matter.
3. There is one book, however, that you will not find at any bookstore.
a. Not because its out of print or not a best-seller but because its owner has the only copy.
b. I’m talking about the book of life.
4. There’s not another place more important to have our name placed than in the book of life. It is the difference between heaven and hell.
5. I would like for us to make some observations today about this very important book.
I. Men Do Not Control whose Name Is In The Book Of Life.
A. How fortunate we are that this is true!
1. If they did, some people might not want us there.
B. Consider Psalm 69:4-5, 13, 27-28.
1. David first describes his condition (hated without a cause, vs. 4)
2. He then represents himself as suffering for God (vss. 7-13)
3. He prays for deliverance from these troubles (vss. 14-18)
4. And then for his enemies to be destroyed (vss. 22-28)
a. Consider specifically verses 27-28, “Add iniquity to their iniquity, And may they not come into Your righteousness. May they be blotted out of the book of life And may they not be recorded with the righteous.”
b. God was the one to determine who was in the book of life and who was not. David was not the one who controlled this.
C. Exodus 32: This chapter has to do with the rebellion of the children of Israel. Aaron made the golden calf. The Lord desired to destroy the people but Moses makes entreaty for the people.
1. Exodus 32:31-33, “Then Moses returned to the LORD, and said, "Alas, this people has committed a great sin, and they have made a god of gold for themselves. 32But now, if Thou wilt, forgive their sin-- and if not, please blot me out from Thy book which Thou hast written!" 33And the LORD said to Moses, "Whoever has sinned against Me, I will blot him out of My book.”
a. Moses wanted to have his name removed from the book of life, as payment for God not destroying the Israelites.
b. Remember the words of God, however, “whoever has sinned against Me, I will blot him out of My book.”
c. Moses could not determine whose name stayed and whose name didn’t. Only God can control this!
II. No One Stumble Onto Its Pages By Accident.
A. If your name is written in the book of life, its because you took God’s Word to heart and decided to live according to it.
B. Philippians 4:2-3, “I urge Euodia and I urge Syntyche to live in harmony in the Lord. Indeed, true comrade, I ask you also to help these women who have shared my struggle in the cause of the gospel, together with Clement also, and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.”
1. These names were not in the book of life on accident. There was a reason.