Summary: Proverbs 15:9 The way of the wicked is an abomination unto the LORD: but he loveth him that followeth after righteousness.
THE BROAD, EARTHLY WAY
I. IT IS THE WAY OF THE WICKED
Proverbs 15:9 The way of the wicked is an abomination unto the LORD: but he loveth him that followeth after righteousness.
1. It is the way of a bad heart; Psalm 58:2. Yea, in heart ye work wickedness; ye weigh the violence of your hands in the earth. The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.
2. It is the way which leads to Hell; Psalm 9:17. The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.
II. IT IS THE WAY OF THE FALSE
Psalm 119:104. Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.
1. It is the way of false teachers; II Peter 2:1. But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2. It is the way of false prophets and false Christs; Matthew 24:24. For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
III. IT IS THE WAY OF THE SLOTHFUL
Proverbs 15:19. The way of the slothful (lazy) man is as an hedge of thorns: but the way of the righteous is made plain.
1. It is the way of deterioration; Ecclesiastes 10:18. Through indolence the rafters sag, and through slackness the house leaks.
2. It is the way of death; Proverbs 21:25. The desire of the sluggard puts him to death, For his hands refuse to work;
IV. IT IS THE WAY OF THE FOOL
Proverbs 12:15. The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, But a wise man is he who listens to counsel.
1. It is the way travelled by ignorance; Proverbs 18:2. A fool does not delight in understanding, But only in revealing his own mind.
2. It is the way of contention; Proverbs 18:6. A fool's lips bring strife, And his mouth calls for blows.
V. IT IS THE WAY OF LYING
Psalm 119:29. Remove from me the way of lying: and grant me thy law graciously.
1. It is the way loved by many; Psalm 52:3,4. Thou lovest evil more than good; and lying rather than to speak righteousness. Selah. Thou lovest all devouring words, O thou deceitful tongue.
2. It is the way God hates; Proverbs 6:16,19. hese six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.
VI. IT IS THE WAY OF ADULTERY
Proverbs 30:20. Such is the way of an adulterous woman; she eateth, and wipeth her mouth, and saith, I have done no wickedness.
1. It is the way followed by the eyes; II Peter 2:14. Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:
2. It is the way followed by the heart; Matthew 15:19. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: