Summary: How to be used of God in the building a Local Church
The Building of a Local Church
Scripture Reading: 1 Corinthians 3:5-11
5. Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?
6. I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
7. So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.
8. Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.
9. For we are labourers together with God: ye are God’s husbandry, ye are God’s building.
10. According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
11. For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
Text: 1 Corinthians 3:9
1 Corinthians 3:9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God’s husbandry, ye are God’s building.
Introduction: Our text makes it clear that the people of God are GOD’S building. He is the author and the finisher. However, the verse also says that WE work together WITH the Lord in the construction of HIS House (The HOUSE of GOD The CHURCH). Therefore, as it is the job of God’s people to win others to Christ, it is also our task to work with the Lord in BUILDING those converts. "Canaan Baptist Church exists solely to exalt the Savior as we evangelize the sinner and edify the saint."
I understand that the term, "church," refers to ALL of God’s people. However, the body of Christ is manifest locally in the form of independent congregations. I want us to think this morning about how we can work together with the Lord in building a local church.
Dr. Harold Sightler founded Tabernacle Baptist Church in the early 50’s and was that church’s pastor until his death in 1996. The church had many ministries: School, College, Radio Station, Children’s Home, and more. Its property was valued at over $10,000,000. Some one asked Dr. Sightler to write a book on how to build a great Church. Dr. Sightler said, “I don’t know how”
“But, You built Tabernacle” They said.
“No” Dr. Sightler said, “God Built Tabernacle, I just tried to stay out of His way.”
There’s a reality to that statement, however, God defiantly used Dr. Sightler and those he surrounded himself with to accomplish his work there in Greeneville, S.C.
God has chosen to limit Himself to human instruments in order to carry out his plan.
I want to preach this morning on:
THE BUILDING OF A LOCAL CHURCH
I. A LOCAL CHURCH MUST BE FOUNDED UPON THE PERSON OF JESUS CHRIST
Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
A. It must be built UPON Him
B. It must be built FOR Him
C. It must be built THROUGH Him
II. A LOCAL CHURCH MUST BE FED BY THE PREACHING OF GOD’S WORD
Matthew 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: