Summary: What Jesus came to do.
THE BUSINESS OF JESUS
INTRODUCTION: "I must be about My Father’s business"
* Luke 19:10 - "The Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost."
* John 4:34- " My food...is to do the will of Him who sent me and to finish His work."
* John 5:30 - "I seek not to please myself, but Him who sent me."
* John 6:38-40 - The Father’s will for JESUS is for Him to give eternal life to all who believe
* John 8:29 - "I always do what pleases Him."
* John 12:49-50 - "...Whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say."
* John 17:1-4 - "I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to
* John 17:18 - "As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world."
* John 20:21 - "As the Father has sent Me, I am sending you."
* Acts 1:8 - "...you will be My witnesses..."
I. The business of JESUS was rooted in His spiritual development. (vv. 39-40)
A. He grew and became strong.
* Some amazing paradoxes:
+ The Creator of all had to grow up.
+ The Mighty God became strong.
+ The perfect One was made perfect through suffering. (Hebrews 2:10)
* The same phrase used of John (Luke 1:80).
* We are expected to "grow and become strong"
+ II Peter 3:18 -
B. He was filled with wisdom.
* Being filled with wisdom results from being filled with the Holy Spirit (Acts 6:3)
* Two kinds of wisdom: EARTHLY & HEAVENLY (James 3:13-18)
C. The grace of God was on Him.
II. The business of JESUS was revealed in His unusual discussions in the Temple. (vv. 41-50)
A. The astonishment of the Jewish leaders.
B. The amazement of His parents.
C. The answer of JESUS.
III. The business of JESUS was reflected in His own personal dedication. (vv. 51-52)
A. His attitude of submission.
B. His balance in growth.
C. His priorities were established.
D. His acceptance by others.