Summary: When God’s people follow God’s challenges and callings there are certain traits that will always need to be present.
The C*O*S*T of Faith
If the Saints of Hebrews 11 are any indication, following God’s plan will C*O*S*T us
C – Courageous – Because God’s calling can be unnerving; even daunting
• When Joshua and the Hebrews followed God into the Promised Land it was with a great sense of personal risk.
• There was *human* reason to fear. But God gave confidence with His promises.
• Four times in Joshua 1 alone God tells his people to be courageous and follow Him. Joshua 1:9 says, “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”
• We will never attempt great things for God or see God do great things if we are not courageous.
O – Obedience – Because only God knows the final outcome. We simply follow in faith.
• Every time God calls his people to act there are unanswered questions.
• We are called to walk in the light He gives us.
• The nomadic Hebrews did not see God part the waters until the priests entered the Red Sea.
• Do you think the Hebrew nomads did not have questions before stepping into the Red Sea and experiencing God’s miracle of parting the waters?
• Do you think those questioned remained (or seemed important) once they got to the other side by walking on dry ground and seeing their enemies obliterated before their eyes?
• I doubt they were still saying “Well, I still have a question about whether this is a good idea?”
S – Sacrifice – Because obeying God demands something of us; it requires something from us.
T – Tenacity – Because obeying God is not easy and leads to service
What God wants to do in our congregation is also supposed to happen through and within you.
• We grow as a congregation as we as believers grow
• Growing and walking is faith (meaning we don’t have all the answers and don’t even know the outcome) happens for a church only as it happens to its parishioners.
We can circumvent the plan … all we have to do is
• Refuse to act in faith … walk in fear