Summary: The call of Jesus is a call to a relationship, a call to be His disciples and a call to be disciple-makers.
Matthew 4:18-20 THE FIRST WORDS TO PETER
18 As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 19 "Come, FOLLOW ME," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." 20 At once they left their nets and followed him.
These were the very first words that the first disciples heard from Jesus: “CCME, FOLLOW ME.”
John 21:18-22 THE LAST WORDS TO PETER
18 I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go." 19 Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, "FOLLOW ME!"
These were also the last words of Jesus at His final moment with Peter at the Sea of Galilee.
Jesus recruited 12 students, trained them for 3 years, put them to the test with 11 passes and 1 failure, and then commissioned them to do what they were groomed for.
• His recruitment of the Twelve was one-of-a-kind. No resume was submitted and no interview conducted.
• Just a simple call, COME, FOLLOW ME! With that, and with the help of the Spirit of God, lives were changed, and lives kept on changing ever since.
That’s the power of discipleship. It doesn’t stop with one generation. It doesn’t impact just one generation.
• Its influence goes beyond one generation. We can testify to that because we are now 2000 years away from the day Jesus spoke those words.
• And we are still talking about it – making disciples. We are still calling people to FOLLOW CHRIST.
What exactly is this: COME, FOLLOW ME!
• We need to understand this, because these simple words have been passed on from generations to generations.
• We are called to FOLLOW Christ. We are called FOLLOWERS of Christ. And we are now calling people to FOLLOW Christ.
The best way to understand it is to take it plainly – FOLLOW CHRIST!
• Spend time with me, you’ll know God and know how to live.
WE ARE CALLED INTO A RELATIONSHIP – to be like Jesus
Jesus Christ will change them and teach them how this life ought to be lived.
If we look at what happened to the disciples AFTER they FOLLOWED Christ, I think we can get a clearer picture.
• They became LIKE Christ. Their lives were changed, no doubt. But it did not stop at that.
• The disciples began to BEHAVE like Christ – they preach the Kingdom of God, they heal the sick, they call people to repentance…
• They became CHRIST on earth, in His absence. They ACT like Christ because that’s the purpose of life – serving God the Father.
What they have been seeing and experiencing in the 3 years with Jesus, now take place in their own lives.
• The life and ministry of Jesus has, in a sense, been “reproduced” in them!
• They were now representing Christ on earth, saying and doing the same things.