Summary: This sermon is about being called to be a Christian. It is for the one who has never heard the call, and for the one who has heard it but never accepted it.
1. This is the age of technology.
2. Early this year I bought one of the best computers at its price on the market.
3. Now for the same price you can get one that runs faster, has more memory, and will take your dog for a walk while you watch a ball game. (Not really, but maybe someday!)
4. In the early 1970’s we were really proud of ourselves because we invented a car that got 30 miles to the gallon of gasoline.
5. Thirty years later we have one that gets over FIFTY.
6. We have telephones that can take a message, call other phones, leave a message, and hang themselves up.
7. Telephones have become a major part of our lives- we can’t get along without them very well!
8. We have even invented a way to have them everywhere we go.
9. Recently, as I was waiting behind some people at a tee box on a golf course, I heard a buzzing sound coming from one guy’s golf bag.
10. It was his phone, and he quickly pulled out another piece of equipment and took a fax right there on the number 12 tee!
11. When I was in college living in the dorm, everyone wanted a phone call but no one ever answered the phone.
12. The good news was that it didn’t ring often.
13. There were about 70 guys living there and only two phones, so they didn’t stay hung up long enough to ring!
14. For anyone who has ever sat by the phone waiting for a call, or called for hours that one number and waited to get through, or has even ever used a telephone, I have a message.
15. Today, you have a Call.
16. It’s not from a bill collector, a credit card company, a salesman, or a prankster.
17. It’s from the God who created the universe, and created you for a purpose.
18. You are called out of your plain existence into the service of a King who wants your best.
19. Today we are going to discuss your call, and show how important it is to respond.
I. You have been called to BATTLE.
A. John White, in his book The Fight, has the following to say about your call:
"You have established a new relationship with the powers of darkness. Whatever you were before you were a Christian- straight, horoscope reader, witch, warlock, or satanist- you are now a sworn foe of the legions of hell. Have no delusions about their reality or their hostility, but do not fear them. The God inside you terrifies them. They cannot hurt you, let alone hurt you, but they can still seduce, and they will try. They will also oppose you as you obey Christ. If you play it cool and decide not to be a fanatic about Christianity, you will have no trouble from them. But if you are serious about Christ being your Lord and God, you can expect opposition."
1. (Read entire passage.)
2. 6:12, note from Life application Bible:
"These who are not ‘flesh and blood’ are demons over who Satan has control. They are not mere fantasies– they are very real. We face a powerful army whose goal to is defeat Christ’s church. When we believe in Christ, these things become our enemies, and they try every device to try and turn us away from him and back to sin. Although we are assured of victory, we must engage in the struggle until Christ returns, because Satan is constantly battling against all who are on the Lord’s side. We need supernatural power to defeat Satan, and God has provided us this by giving us the Holy Spirit within us, and His armor surrounding us. If you feel discouraged, remember Jesus’ words to Peter: "On this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hell will not overcome it." (Matthew 16:18 (quickview) )"